Portable Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Pizza Oven

Hi, all. I am a sophomore in college looking to build a portable relatively small pizza oven (think Primavera70 or even a 60 if need be!)

I dont have much money as a poor working college student and would really not like to spend any more than 700$ on this thing.

I would prefer something sort of like the Primavera series, that are alot lighter and more portable than the other ovens and are smaller, so that instead of going through the trouble of making new concrete floor and all that jazz, I can just throw it on a stand on my patio and have it ready to go.

Can anyone help?

Has anyone attempted to successfully do this before?

Re: Portable Pizza Oven

You're not gonna be able to do that with masonry. Portable ovens are built permanently onto the stand. Your best bet would be some kind of rocket oven with a pizza stone.

If you have a semi-permanent place to build it but will have to tear it down when you leave, I'd recommend just building a cob oven. You could build it on a rolling stand to increase portability - just remember it won't be light. At any rate, they are easy to build and easy to tear down.

Hope that helps.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
      You're not gonna be able to do that with masonry. Portable ovens are built permanently onto the stand. Your best bet would be some kind of rocket oven with a pizza stone.

If you have a semi-permanent place to build it but will have to tear it down when you leave, I'd recommend just building a cob oven. You could build it on a rolling stand to increase portability - just remember it won't be light. At any rate, they are easy to build and easy to tear down.

Hope that helps.
      Okay! GREAT SUGGESTIONS and THANK YOU for your help!

Instead of "Portable", maybe I should use a different word to more accurately describe what I'm getting at.

I would like to create a pizza oven that I can just throw onto an already made stand instead of going through the head-pounding and frustrating work of building a stand, a hearth or a foundation slab.

I just want to get to building the OVEN itself.

Which leads me to my next question.

Is the hearth REALLY needed?
      I understqnd it helps for insulating the cooking floor of your oven and helps the heat radiate without leaving the bottom surface for a while-- which is VERY beneficial in high heat baking/cooking.

BUT, I see the Primavera only comes by itself, and either has a hearth built into it, or needs no hearth because it operates totally fine by itself without the pain of building a stand or a hearth.

So, is the hearth built into the Primavera Oven itself or is it substituted in place for something else?

Thank you again sir, for taking the time to answer my amateurish questions.
      Last edited by achilles007; 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Hearth: Yeah, you need one. That said, it doesn't have to be the concrete/vermiculite/etc, able to withstand an earthquake, permanent, overbuilt jobs the majority use. Firebrick in a sand base will do fine for a temporary job. (Think patio pavers - the sand holds them in place but isn't a mortar.) Put a rim around your stand - 1x4's will do fine - fill partially with sand and set the firebrick on that. The oven can then be built on top.

Mind you, it will not be efficient. It's gonna bleed heat like crazy since there is no insulation so it will take more wood to bring it to temp - probably a lot more. You can minimize that a bit by not extending the brick (much) past the edge of the oven (unless you cut them there will be some overage). Sand is not an insulator so it won't help.

But it will get you where you're going pretty fast. If you were building this permanently it would be a stupid waste but it should suffice for a temporary job.

The hearth is not included with the pre-cast ovens but they do need one. The hearth is constructed on-site. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to build a concrete slab than to mail one!

Everybody starts out having no clue - don't sweat it.

FYI, I'm a girl.
        Last edited by Archena; 07-11-2010, 07:01 PM.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
          Hearth: Yeah, you need one. That said, it doesn't have to be the concrete/vermiculite/etc, able to withstand an earthquake, permanent, overbuilt jobs the majority use. Firebrick in a sand base will do fine for a temporary job. (Think patio pavers - the sand holds them in place but isn't a mortar.) Put a rim around your stand - 1x4's will do fine - fill partially with sand and set the firebrick on that. The oven can then be built on top.

Mind you, it will not be efficient. It's gonna bleed heat like crazy since there is no insulation so it will take more wood to bring it to temp - probably a lot more. You can minimize that a bit by not extending the brick (much) past the edge of the oven (unless you cut them there will be some overage). Sand is not an insulator so it won't help.

But it will get you where you're going pretty fast. If you were building this permanently it would be a stupid waste but it should suffice for a temporary job.

The hearth is not included with the pre-cast ovens but they do need one. The hearth is constructed on-site. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to build a concrete slab than to mail one!

Everybody starts out having no clue - don't sweat it.

FYI, I'm a girl.
          Oh, okay. I'm sorry about that. My apologies.

So, I noticed you mentioned earlier something about a "Cob" Oven.

I have never heard of such a thing-- I only thought that wood-fried ovens were only designated to being the brick ones only. Very interesting.

I had no idea that there were other varieties out there that one could create.

You dont happen to have a link that goes more into detail some more about these beautiful "Cob" ovens, as well as the other varieties one could build do you?

I may just have to create a separate thread for this.

Thanks a bunch, Archena!

Comment

No prob - it would be nice if it were in the postbit but it's not (hint, hint, James! )

FB Alternative Ovens: Other Oven Types - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

External: http://breadhunter-breadforall.blogs...arth-oven.html

If you have a delicious account you can check out my tags there - I'm still Archena. I have waaaaay too many on cob to link here!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X