Square-ish dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square-ish dome?

This summer I'm going to try to build a pizza oven. I've settled on a refactory build, and I've been keeping my eyes open for something suitable to use as the form for the dome. A friend has given me an old Perspex domed skylight. The dome is 31" in diameter and 12" high. I'm a little concerned that rather than being round, it's a square-ish dome, and I wondered if this would be a problem? By square-ish I mean that the base of the dome is a rounded square shape.

-Mark.

Re: Square-ish dome?

You will have a lot of cutting to do, but I guess that goes without saying. It will be an interesting experiment, but carefully assess the risk/reward. It may work, hell it will probably work, but if it doesn't, how much time and money will you have invested in a pile of junk brick?

Forno gives away free plans for an oven design that has proven to work for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Thank you Forno Bravo, once again!

Comment

An important consideration for all forms is how you get them out. Do you have a plan?
      Jay

Comment

Melting it may leave a nasty, toxic residue which may linger on for some time...
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

You could lay up the castable on the inside of the mould then when it has set you could flip it over.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

A question that always concerns me with square and rectangular ovens: What are the corners for? How do you get the ash out of them?

Worth reading if you haven't:
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

you could also lay it up on the outside and flip it over.Use plenty of release agent, probably PVA (get from a fiberglass supplier) between the mould and the castable. This might work well. Keep us posted and good luck. Always think ahead the next step. you don't really need sleep, obsessions keep you young!
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
              X