Refractory Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory Formula

I have been going back and forth on Castable or Brick. I have a friend that works at a cement products distributor in the area that has offered up nearly 1000 lbs of raw Refactory Cement in 94 lb bags.

He has casted (formed) a very cool raised fireplace with it by combinining it with Lightweight aggregate. The Lightweight aggregate (pre-fired) is very cheap and I can probably cast an oven for less than $50-$100.

Since I should have plenty of cement, I'm thinking I can do a trial-run and cast a smaller oven as a test. I'm wondering what the formula should be and should I also add sand to the aggregate.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Re: Refractory Formula

It sounds like what you would want to do is cast a 2-4" layer without the insulation, then another layer of highly insulated refactory over the top.

If it is that cheap it is well worth a try.

Comment

Re: Refractory Formula

Nevermind. I found old Firebrick locally for .25 each so I'm now back to using a brick structure. I will use the Refractory Cement to make mortar and to cast some veneer stones to be used around oven entrance.

Eventually, I will cast a small portable oven using the refractory cement.

Comment

Working...
      X