Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic insulation "bricks"? "Skagits"

Hi,

I have finally found a local supply, (near Vancouver), of calcium-magnesium cilicate (CMS), insulation, but it comes in full brick dimensions, not a board.

Any thoughts or experience on performance and handling I should be aware of?

I have also found some 12"x24" "skagits", that are 2" firebrick tiles for the hearth,... very cool.

I am now just about to start the 42" build. This will be my 2nd oven. Really looking forward to this and will post pics soon. Thanks to all on this forum for helping with far too many design and building ideas.

Re: ceramic insulation "bricks"? "Skagits"

The topic of insulating bricks was recently covered here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tion-8009.html

I think the reason most builders go with vermicrete or board (or a combination of both) over insulating brick is the cost.

Comment

I used the Insulating Bricks under my Firebrick floor...they are 3" thick and came out of a furnace. I used them because I found them on craigslist cheap ($1 each 3x7x9). They are an industrial insulating product, and they were easy to work with.

Comment

Cal-sil bricks? That's a new on on me. Cal-sil board is considerably more expensive than the mineral fiber types, it may pay to shop around.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The cal-sil insulating bricks are widely used by potters in kiln building.

Comment

Hi,
            Thanks for the comments.

The insulating firebricks (IFBs), are cal-sil, the name is Iso-Perlor. Maximum operating temp is 1652F, and crushing strength lb/sq" is 290.

They cost $3.50 CA each. This has been my best option, other than vermicrete. I used vermicrete for my 1st build, and am looking for better performance for this current project.

Comment

Working...
            X