Started in Napa, WFO dome & slab questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started in Napa, WFO dome & slab questions

I have started my WFO build, so far the new patio is poured and I have the CMU installed for the dome slab support (I will post some pics when I get a chance).

My build will be;

1. The outside slab support is 6? x 6?
    2. I will be using light gauge metal studs (LGMF) to frame a ?house? over the dome.
    3. The dome will be 42? diameter
    4. I will be pouring a 4? thick reinforced concrete slab with a non-reinforced pearlite/vermiculite insulating slab over it.
    5. I will be using some form of the Indispensible tool.
    6. I will be placing the dome ON top of the firebrick floor (I think!)

I will next be forming for the dome support slab and I have a few questions;

1. The 42? circle is easy to lay out, but what is the layout dimensions for the entry floor bricks/transition area? The part that looks like the bottom of a key hole.
    2. The Forno Bravo instruction sheets show that you can hold the insulating slab back from the front edge. Where does this slab end? Under where the door stop arch goes? Or?
    3. Should I set back the sides and back of the insulating slab 4? to allow the LGMF to sit on the structural slab?
    4. Where do I get vermiculite? (I live in Napa, CA)

Thanks for any help, Eric
    Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Re: Started in Napa, WFO dome & slab questions

"Where does this slab end? "

Not that critical. I would extend it out under any firebricks you are laying in the entryway.

"Should I set back the sides and back of the insulating slab 4” "

The insulating layer need only go out past the bricks the width of the dome bricks plus insulation layer. With a 72 inch slab you will have (72-42-4.5-4.5-4-4)= 13 inches, or 6 1/2 inches each side.

You can get vermiculite and/or perlite (either will do the job) at a number of places but generally the nursery supply places will give you the best price.
    Last edited by Neil2; 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Last edited by EricU; 07-27-2010, 06:35 PM.
      Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Last edited by EricU; 07-27-2010, 06:37 PM.
        Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Last edited by EricU; 07-27-2010, 06:35 PM.
          Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

(Pics added) Started in Napa

My version of "The Tool"

Last edited by EricU; 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM.
            Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

The rock is starting to go on the back of the counter wall

I decided to install the facing on the area under the dome support because it will be much more difficult after the dome support slab is poured.

Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Eric, your indispensable tool looks top notch. I'm impressed. I also like how your whole outdoor project is so big you have to get a lot of it done before the wfo. We don't usually see so much of the stonework and facade done this early. The wavy gray stones and brick look great.

Niel answered your questions but here is my 1st picasa web album thread of my oven start that shows that "keyhole" opening about halfway down the pics.
                Picasa Web Albums - Dino - Pizza Oven Co...

However, my landing is 15" deep (that starts about 3" within the 42" dome. My width is 22" at the oven entry and 25" wide at the outer entry arch. That means it's 3" wider at the front. For me, it's very convenient in that I need less of an overhang (that's why I poured only an 8" concrete counter) and it's wide enough to set big pots on while I decide where to put it in the oven. I wouldn't suggest a deeper landing or deeper overhang/counter on a 42" oven because it puts the middle and back of the oven farther from your reach. Just my opinion and I've got long arms.

Have great time building your oven, it looks like a really fun oven project and outdoor kitchen that your building.

Cheers, Dino
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino, Thanks for the props, though I have to say I have had a LOT of help.

I used to have a construction company so I still either have or have access to a lot of tools, equipment and most important; skilled, very skilled labor. And after working with me for quite a few years they are starting to, kind of, trust (somewhat) my kinda of wack ideas!

My buddy Mike is probably sick of me looking at things that are almost complete and saying "Hey Mike! You know what I think we could do..." but he keeps showing up to help.

I also cant take all the credit for the tool, as me and a buddy Kevin were walking around OSH picking up parts while asking a guy that I couldnt understand what he was saying where things were. Anyway Kevin took all the parts home that afternoon and a little welding, and he delivered it to me the next morning!

Even the layout I had help as I pretty much had my buddy Lance do the CAD drawings for me on his own time with my explanations over the phone! I am in Nor Cal and he is in Arizona!

And now after looking at your build's pics. I think that I will layout the "keyhole" floor in CAD.

Stay tuned for more questions!!! Eric.
                  Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Completed the forms for the dome suppport slab yesterday, hope to pour Monday or Tuesday.

I will have a 4 1/4" thick structural slab with a raised curb outside the dome area. I will try to pour the insulating slab either the same day or the next day. I will be using the vermiculite/pearlite method.

Eric
                    Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Working...
                    X