Oven Dome Mortar Mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Dome Mortar Mix?

Portland and lime are both very caustic when wet. Wear gloves or barrier cream at least, and try to keep your hands dry. Mix small amounts until you get a feel for the pot life of your mix.

Comment

Hi Wemme,

Yep, Portland cement and lime will dry out the skin on your hands quickly. Then you've got this sandy feeling on them for a couple of days. Home Depot sells a 5-pack of vinyl coated cloth gloves that are great when mixing and working with mortar/cement. I often put on nitrile gloves first then with the HD gloves. If you need to handle raw mortar with your hands then you are protected. The gloves are light weight, clean up easily and dry overnight for reuse the next day. Also, don't breathe the dust from cement or lime...... Cough, cough !!

Best of luck for your project,
      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

hi Eric, i used refractory mortar, it was called Derby 3000, came in a black pail with a red top. 3 gallon pail, just a little thicker than drywall mud. the beauty of the stuff is that i could get home from work, open the pail and work for 15 minutes if i wanted to and all i had to do to clean up was throw my trowel in a pail of water and put the lid back on the bucket. I used 2 pails in my 36" build. i didn't fill the brick voids with the stuff though, i only used enough to set the bricks together... then i used home brew in a grout bag and filled the backs, using a hard plastic float to work the mortar in. i parged about 3/4" thick with home brew...

Comment

Working...
        X