Fire brick Mortar Mix question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire brick Mortar Mix question?

I have poured my insulating slab and am ready to start the 42" dome construction and I have the following questions regarding the fire brick mortar mix design:

Pics of build

Per the Forno Bravo oven building instructions (Appendix 6. High Heat Mortar) and from the forum the Fire Brick Mortar mix is;

1 part Portland Cement
    3 parts Sand
    1 part Lime
    1 part Fireclay

I am using a product by HC Muddox labled ?Mortar Clay? and the bag has the following mix instructions;

1 part Mortar Clay
    2 parts Portland Cement
    6 parts Sand
    With NO additional Lime.

Should I use the FB mix instructions with the HC Muddox Mortar Clay?

Or should I follow the mix instructions on the bag?

Thanks for any help, Eric
    Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Re: Fire brick Mortar Mix question?

I used the Forno Bravo ratio with the HC Muddox Mortar Clay.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
      I used the Forno Bravo ratio with the HC Muddox Mortar Clay.

George
      So, just to be clear, you used (hopefully with no problems) the following;

1 part Portland Cement
      3 parts Sand
      1 part Lime
      1 part Fireclay with the Fireclay being HC Muddox product labled ?Mortar Clay? right out of the bag?

Thanks Eric.
      Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post
        So, just to be clear, you used (hopefully with no problems) the following;

1 part Portland Cement
        3 parts Sand
        1 part Lime
        1 part Fireclay with the Fireclay being HC Muddox product labled “Mortar Clay” right out of the bag?

Thanks Eric.
        Yes, that's exactly what I used and ignored the instructions printed on the mortar clay bag.
        Last edited by fxpose; 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Are you suggesting that Muddox "Mortar Clay" mentioned in this thread can be used in place of FB high temp water resistant mortar? There is a very large price difference.

Regards,

Comment

Are we saying using Muddox Clay Mortar mixed properly is equivalent to using FB high temp, water proof mortar?

Thanks,

Comment

Eric and fmottahe,

If you haven't had the pleasure of reading thorugh this high-heat mortar primer, I invite you to do so since it answers the questions you will most likely ask next, plus gives an idea of what other builders have done.

http://http://www.fornobravo.com/for...rimer-914.html

Personally, I couldn't see paying $90 for a $50lb bag of HeatStop 50 when I could "roll my own" as Les calls it. Like many other builders, I picked up 50lb bags of HC Muddox Mortar Clay, hydrated lime and Portland cement. I also had 400lbs #12 fine silica sand given to me. Total investment: about $30.

I started with the traditional FB 1-3-1-1 ratio but started to ease back on the portland just a tad since it was reported this is what burns out at temerature over time. I didn't have the guts to go all fireclay and sand like Francis, but I figure my oven will outlast me. I haven't noticed a difference in mortar integrity. This mixture is a joy to use and it's ease of application is one of the primary reasons I'm milking this build and spending every weekend minute I have working out in the backyard manicuring bricks and drinking beer.

Comment

Hello - I am planning to build my first oven this spring. I have been gathering supplies and refining plans since October. I purchased a couple bags of FireRock Mortar Adhesive from a block company. Is anyone familiar with this product? Will it work as mortar for the oven?

Thank you!
                Anthony

Comment

use fire clay 1 to 2 cement and 3 sand...you need NO LIME it takes the place of lime...

Comment

Working...
                  X