Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimensions for vault style, door size, etc

Hello all,

I started building what I plan to be a very utilitarian oven so aesthetics are not a high priority for me. But we need a large capacity and plan to use it at least a couple times per week to bake bread for sale.

(Some photos of my started build are in the photo forum)

The questions I have now that I have my foundation slab in place:

I know there are dimension guidelines on here some where - I've seen them, but can't find them now. I'm basically hoping to build as large an oven as feasible on a 5x6 foot slab. The slab is 5 inches thick. I plan to use 3 inches of fireboard rather than vermicrete for the insulative layer.

I bought a chop saw from the local big-box. I was told it will be fine for cutting brick with a masonry blade. But I see the instruction booklet says not to do this - steel only. Is this just a CYA liability thing for the manufacturer or is there some real reason why I shouldn't use it for bricks?

If I use layers of brick to build the vault, the first layer being full sized fire brick, can the second layer be regular brick, rather than the more expensive fire brick?

Finally, where the heck does one find the fire board and fire blankets? I've called around and no one has even heard of it!

Thanks!

Joe

Re: Dimensions for vault style, door size, etc

Hi Joe
    Everyone that I know of who has built a barrel vault style oven has followed the plans in "The Bread Builders" book, aka an "Allen Scott" oven

Not 100% sure on the saw thing. You'll need a masonry blade for it if you decide it's a go. It'll be VERY dusty. I think guys who have gone this route dampen the bricks before cutting. Might shorten the life of the saw with all that dust in the motor.
    You'll need to wear a dust mask or respirator.

WRT "layers of brick" I'm not familiar enough with the construction of a barrel vault oven to answer this and not sure if I even understand what you're asking. The entire oven chamber should be of refractory fire brick. Anything beyond that is just a heat sink unless it's insulation.

Board and blanket insulation are available through the Forno Bravo store here. Refractories suppliers also sell it.

Comment

A google maps search for "refractory near iowa" shows a lot of possibilities.

I don't think you're going to find much on here about barrel vault oven dimensions, we're pretty much dome folks hereabouts. Again, google may be a help:

Google
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
        WRT "layers of brick" I'm not familiar enough with the construction of a barrel vault oven to answer this and not sure if I even understand what you're asking. The entire oven chamber should be of refractory fire brick. Anything beyond that is just a heat sink unless it's insulation.
        Thanks splatgirl. I was following along with Tscarborough's vault oven build here on the forum, but also have the book you mention. In Tscarborough's case he created the first layer of his vault with split halves of fire brick - so he took the half thickness bricks, then cut them down the middle - I assume he did this in order to keep the thickness of the mortar joints thin as is recommended.

He then added a second layer of the thin fire brick in order to increase the mass of the oven walls. I was wondering if this second layer might be constructed of regular brick, given the expense of the fire brick.

I figured it would be protected by the first layer of fire brick and therefore subject to less high temps.

Just looking to shave some cost off the construction!

Joe

Comment

Hi,
          I found Tscarborough's postings and photos. I had access to similar materials that he used so I build an oven very similar to his. It works great. I have super high duty (3000deg.) 4 1/2 in thick firebrick back, sides, and arches. I was lucky to get wedge shaped for my arches. Almost no cutting. Tscarborough's arches, with 2 bricks thick are a specific arch type. He is a mountian of knowledge and very, very helpful. I studied his photos and followed them as close as my materials would allow.

If you have any specific questions, get in touch with him, along with the other inteligent people on the forum.

Derk

Comment

Hello,

I just bought a 14 inch "chop saw" at a big box store. It came with a metal cutting blade. There were warnings about using it only for ferrous metals. It will cut wet bricks with the proper blade.

Search the internet for barrel vault bread oven or some such terms. You'll find lots of leads.

Best of luck,
            Last edited by azpizzanut; 09-20-2010, 10:45 AM. Reason: correct mis-spelling
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
            X