Premio versus Ristorante

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premio versus Ristorante

Can you help me understand the differences between the Premio and the Ristorante ovens? What makes one better for commercial applications and the other better for home applications? Is there any reason that a Ristorante110 would not be suitable for home use?
    Author of "Passionate About Pizza: Making Great Homemade Pizza" cookbook http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com

Ciao Pizzaman,

The Ristorante ovens are thicker in the dome and floor and have a nice cast iron entry (along with the elaborate arch, vent and landing). As you note the 110cm oven is where the two product lines overlap, but as home owner I would definitely go for the Premio. You don't need, or even want, the extra mass for a home oven. They are made using the same refractory material and same processes (nobody else does that -- which is important).

If budget is not an issue, and you really like the Ristorante openning and arch, you can definitely go for it -- but you don't have to. The producer thinks of the Premio as a commercial oven that has been sized and scaled for the house.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

weight difference?

Thanks, James.

One of the reasons I asked the question is that the specifications show that both ovens weigh the same amount (950 lbs). If the Ristorante is thicker, wouldn't it weigh more?
      Author of "Passionate About Pizza: Making Great Homemade Pizza" cookbook http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com

Comment

Nice catch. We just finished a project where we drove every oven over a scale in California to calculate accurate weights. There are a handful of oven weights on FB.com that are off, and we have not updated the site.

The Ristorante110 weighs roughly 250lbs more than the Premio110. Still, the Premio is a chunky residential oven.

Here are the two weights:
        Premio110 1150lbs
        Ristorante110 1400lbs

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

my minimum-weight oven project

One of the reasons I'm nitpicking about this is I'm trying to sort out how to get an oven installation made to meet some challenging requirements:
          - It must fit on a deck (so I'd like minimum weight)
          - It must be somewhat moveable on said deck
          - It must be easy to disassemble and reassemble in a different location.
          - The disassembly/reassembly should be as non-messy as possible.
          - The pieces into which the unit disassembles should be small and light enough for two men to carry each piece.

What I'm thinking would work best is to use a Ristorante oven because it's additional thickness means that I don't have to build any additional heavy cladding. I'd like to use minimal morter/flashing to join the oven dome sections together. I'd use glass wool (or similar) blankets for insulation above the dome. I'll build a metal-framed external shell using thin metal (like copper) or stucco that can be easily removed from the oven. I guess it would be even lighter if I just use the Premio oven so that might be what I'd use if it will work with no additional cladding.

Under the oven, I'd use a wheeled metal stand with cement-board topped with insulation board (can't remember the name but I've seen it mentioned here). I'd dry-fit the oven floor pieces on the insulation board.

Would this work?

Comment

from the brick oven photo gallery

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza_oven.../Salerno1.html

Why not go for one of the smaller ovens to make it easier to move?

Comment

A challenge...

Pizzaman,
              There must be a good reason why you would want to dis-assemble the oven. A metal stand with some industrial casters will work to relocate your oven on your deck -be sure to confirm that the joists on your deck are secure. The exterior for your oven sounds about right. The only challenging part will be the disassembly of the oven. Cements are brittle, hard and stubborn -it will be a chore to chip any of it away inorder to take your oven apart and you may damage the oven in the process. I've built and installed theses ovens and my advice to you is -if you can figure a way to move your oven to another location without the disassembly then do it (I'm assuming you'd want to move because someday you may move to another home).

Here is a suggestion -if your current location will allow it. Build a custom metal frame/stand on casters and also fabricate the metal frame/stand so it can be moved with a pallet jack. When the time comes to move the oven it may be possible (depending again on your location) to guide the metal frame off your deck to a place where it can be relocated by the use of the pallet jack.
              I hope this helped -a last ditched effort would be to buy a mobile Forno Bravo -visit thefirewithin.biz
              Good luck,
              Joseph

Comment

Working...
              X