Block Stand Slab Thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Stand Slab Thickness

I am pouring the slab on top of my block stand this weekend. I was orignally going to do 3.5" as recommended on the FB install instructions.

A 3" will work exactly with my brick veneer elevations. Does anyone see a problem pouring a 3", reinforced with 1/2" rebar?

I dont have a finishes stand picture to attach, but you can get an idea of shape in the attached. Stand is 4 1/2 courses high.

Re: Block Stand Slab Thickness

I don't think the problem is so much with the thickness of the slab, which is a bit of overkill anyway, but with the problem of positioning the rebar exactly in the center of the pour. By loosing the half inch, you've lost your margin of error in keeping the rebar well surrounded with concrete.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Block Stand Slab Thickness

Stay with the 3 1/2 inch or 4 inch. For a 3 1/2 inch suspended slab, consider using 3/8 inch rebar. Use twice as much if replacing 1/2 inch rebar. For example if you plan calls for 1/2 inch on a 12 inch grid, you get the same (or a bit better) by using 3/8 on a 6 inch grid. The 3/8 inch is also much easier to cut and bend.

You can always bevel grind the edge down to 3 inches if necessary.

Comment

Working...
      X