Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii 42" At last I have.....

Hi there all

At last I have found some awesome plans for what appears to be a very worth while project. I was just about to start a different oven and found this site. What an amazing set up. I have spent many hours reading so much information contained here. I have decided to go with the 42" igloo Pompeii style.
    Have attached a few pics of the ultra strong base and first layer of the hearth.

When I apply the second thermal layer to the structural layer is it a good idea to put a layer of tinfoil down where the oven is going to sit.
    I have decided to do a pumice and cement thermal layer (mainly due to the crazy cost of perlite or vermiculite her in New Zealand. What should the ratio be? If this is completely let us know.

Here's to a traditional Pizza. I am hoping that it tastes half as good as the ones that we had in Napoli last time or at the camping ground Localit? Cassa / Via Favaro, Bogliasco Genoa, Italia. (if you ever get to go here take a break with a margarita and enjoy the sunset)

Re: Pompeii 42" At last I have.....

I have tried to upload some pic's of the project but are unable to. Can someone help?

Cheers

Kriso

Comment

Due to the cost of firebricks here ( I have managed to get them down to $6.90 per brick) I am looking at making the dome from normal clay bricks. A few questions that someone may be able to help with.
      1. would solid bricks be better than ones with the holes in them?
      2. would the bricks with holes be more likely to crack?
      3. would a thin render with refectory mortar be beneficial?
      Cheers

Comment

Hi Kriso,

Solid bricks provide good thermal mass.

I'm not sure what you wish to accomplish with the coat of refractory mortar render....more thermal mass? You will need to fill the wedge shaped voids at the outside of the dome if you don't taper your bricks. That will help make the dome more solid and add to the mass.

Cheers,
        Last edited by azpizzanut; 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM. Reason: clarification
        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I should have been more specific with Q3. Because I am thinking of using normal clay bricks would it help if I rendered the inside of the oven?
          Cheers

Comment

Kriso,

I wish I could help you with your question about mortar render inside the Pompeii dome so I will defer to the wisdom of others. I don't recall anyone commenting on this in the past. I do recall someone saying refractory mortar is not the same as refractory concrete. And, others have commented that refractory concrete is not suitable as mortar. You will eventually experience spalling or flaking on the face of common red brick so I assume you are trying to avoid that with the render coat.

Are fire brick splits available at lower cost? You might be able to mortar a split to a common red brick and use that combination. If your interior joints are tight it might work and you would have the benefit of fire brick against the hot face and also the thermal mass of the red brick. Alternatively, if you don't mind the labor, you might saw slabs from fire brick to mortar to common brick. If you do this you'll need to plan since some refractory mortars are not water resistant and the temptation to trim using a wet saw could undo your effort. But, the combination of bricks might work. I've read many posts from builders in NZ, OZ and other places where fire brick is difficult to find or expensive. They are wizards who are able to substitute, innovate and adapt.

Best wishes,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I am thinking of using normal clay bricks would it help if I rendered the inside of the oven?
              Absolutely not. Your oven is always in motion, and that inner coat of refractory is going to end up in your food.
              1. would solid bricks be better than ones with the holes in them?
              2. would the bricks with holes be more likely to crack?
              Avoid the bricks with holes for your oven construction. If you're using the common bricks, you want the solid ones we call "clay pavers" around here.
              I have tried to upload some pic's of the project but are unable to. Can someone help?
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/u...otos-3241.html
              When I apply the second thermal layer to the structural layer is it a good idea to put a layer of tinfoil down where the oven is going to sit
              Forget tinfoil. It has no purpose in an oven build.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Information that is priceless. I have a shipment of vermiculite arriving in the next few days for the thermal layer below the firebrick floor.
                Cheers
                Kriso

Comment

The use of tiles or an old granite bench top is the question. I am thinking of using some left over tiles that I had to go ontop of the vermiculite thermal layer as the base to cook the pizzas on. they are 10mm thick and are extreamly tough, has anyone ever used this type of floor? if so do it or will it work? The other one is a possible old granite top. Still asking due to cost of fire bricks here in new zealand. (at $7.00 per brick, 50 on the floor is $350 which is out of the house budget). see attached photo of tile

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB080045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	283327

Comment

Neither tile nor granite is a good option. They will both spall and crack, and the fragments will get in your food. If you can't spring for a refractory floor, plain red clay bricks are the best choice.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                    X