Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First course brick ????

Hi there all
    Can anyone give me an answer to what the reason is behind the soldier corse / first corse.
    I have attached some pic of the options I am pondering.
    I have just laid the floor tiles. The bricks I am using go outside the floor tiles and thus the first corse of brick is only 50mm. Should I lay the first course on its side to give it extra height. Should I lay a second layer straight up which will give a vertical of 125mm or just start the curve from the 50mm.
    Cheers Kris
    Last edited by kriso; 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Re: First course brick ????

Done.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/ov...tml#post102680
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Do you have an insulation layer under your hearth tiles ?

Comment

Well to answer your question as to the first course/shoulder course, I believe the correct answer is.....however you want to do it. What do you want your oven design to look like.
        The first course is just that, you have to start somewhere. Think of it this way, think of a sphere, or a ball. Cut the sphere along the hemisphere and put it on a flat top. Does this look like it will provide you with enough cooking area with the fire? Or would it be better to raise up the half sphere giving you a little more room for your woodfire cooking.
        I hope that this address's your question.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary
          Well described.

Kris

Comment

Kriso, Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your soldier course bricks look like common bricks not fire bricks. You want and need firebricks and all of the insulation that you can around the oven.

Chris

Comment

Neil 2
              Yep I have a 100mm structural slab, 100mm vermiculite/perlite layer, full fire brick layer then the fire brick tiles. I am trying to get a cost effective brick now. I have found a clay paver that might do the trick as the fire bricks here are $6.50 each.

I am just about to upload a pic of a stack of bricks that I have, any thoughts on them as to their effectiveness.
              Cheers
              Kris

Comment

Thanks all for the input on my crap clay bricks... glad I hadn't started laying them. I have a couple of other bricks that I would like some help with. Check out the picks below. One is an old red clay with holes, I am guessing that these could be filled with vermiculite or perlite, the other is a double clay brick that are left over from the house also with holes or I can get a solid clay paver for about $1.00 each which is 230mm x 114mm x 50mm. I am at the end of the budget for this build so the firebricks at $6.50 each is not really an option unfortunately.

Cheers
                Kriso

Comment

Are the Aussie "pressed reds" available in New Zealand? Several of your neighbors on the big island swear by them as a suitable substitute for firebrick. I would not use any bricks with holes for the actual dome, they will affect performance and since they are not a refractory product, they will probably become brittle at some point from the thermal cycling - you may throw a log in there some day, hitting the side, and have a brick shatter.....or maybe not......I would stick with solids.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by kriso View Post
                    I am at the end of the budget for this build so the firebricks at $6.50 each is not really an option unfortunately.
                    I think using non-refractory materials is not an option either. The bricks you are posting look like standard cores for building. If you subject them to high heat, you may be dissappointed.

Les...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi there neighbor on the west island of the long white cloud...... well that's what the Kiwi's call it.... having only been here for four years from the main island (oz) myself there is not a day goes by that someone somewhere asks me to say six, so of course I oblige and say I would like sux pices of snipper fush and sum chups bro...... anyway that aside must say it is a good country.... so back to the bricks... I think that I will go to midland which is a boral company here in NZ. They have a range of solid clay pavers and I have just spoken to them and they informed me that they are fine for pizza ovens.... they are fired at a hight temp and will last about 25 years in a pizza oven.

Cheers

Kriso
                      Midland Brick NZ -- Clay Bricks & Pavers

Comment

Hey Kriso, if you're near the quake area, you may find someone who has a fireplace that needs to, or has been removed due to structural damage. In this case you could recycle for the cost of your effort. Also someone has to be near that has a fireplace service or another WFO person that can give you a tip on somthing less than the 6.50.

Best to you!!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X