Cutting Fire Bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Fire Bricks

Has anyone ever cut a 230mm fire brick into 4 leaving 50mm, or should they be cut into 3 max (75mm). This is to cut costs down as the best I can get a single brick for is $6.50 thus if cut into 3 it is $2.16 each or if 4 $1.65 each.
    Any suggestions on this
    Cheers
    Kriso
    I can get clay pavers for $1.95 each but they are only 50mm high not 75mm

Re: Cutting Fire Bricks

You may need a sketch of the cuts your thinking of to get a good answer.

My thought is that the dome and floor require a certain mass of fire brick. Cutting them into smaller pieces doesn't seem like it would reduce the total number of bricks required. Maybe I'm miss-understanding your question.
    My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

You could go for the cheaper pacers and back it up with a bit more cladding on the outside to get the thermal mass. That's what I'd do.
      Dave
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I was thinking of that dave and just add a little extra to the vermiculite layer. I may have some old second hand fire bricks on the way but they are pretty old, do you know what type of life span a fire brick has and if they will deteriorate when cut.
        Cheers
        Kriso

Comment

Old second hand fire bricks should be quite ok, if they are really high duty bricks they may be harder to cut.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Kriso,

Even if they are old, I think your used firebricks will be fine. If you want to add thermal mass, you can add a couple inches of refractory mortar to the outside of your dome. Adding thickness of vermiculite is adding insulation.

Comment

Working...
            X