Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cement fire Bricks??? Help!!!!

Hi there
    I am getting to the end of the second hand hunt for fire bricks, the first clay bricks I got I was informed were crap, then I had some old clay bricks that had holes but these are no good, not can some one help with this latest edition of bricks (I am going to own a brick yard soon), it came from a chimney so I am hoping it will be ok, however I noticed on two bricks had some pitting.....not sure how old they are but they are very heavy for a little brick. they are a concrete mix i am gathering.
    Please see attached photo.
    Looking forward to your responses
    Kris
    Last edited by kriso; 11-28-2010, 09:22 PM. Reason: add some more

Re: Cement fire Bricks??? Help!!!!

Yup, defo concrete and no good for a pizza oven, might be good to add mass, but a real no no where fire is concerned as they will spall and explode under high temps.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

What area are you in.... cos there is a manufacturer in Auckland. I also have left over bricks...

David

Comment

David
        I am in Rotorua. What kind of brick did you use? I would appreciate any assistance.

Regards

Kris

Comment

The company here in Auckland is Certec. They actually make an oven that they sell as a kit but I opted to buy some of their "Seconds" refractory bricks.
          Welcome to Certec
          I think I paid about $5 each. Then I picked up 80 fire bricks locally on trade me for a couple of bucks each.
          I still have about 25 left so my dome (800mm ish across the base) must have only used about 60 bricks excluding the base.

Comment

Man I thought we had it tough getting the right gear/tools etc, but you guys over the ditch seem to be worse off for choices....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeh I know, things are tough here, well easy to source if you have the cash, but unfortunately I have a cap on my build. I have managed to source some second hand fire bricks for $4.00 each, however I have to drive about 2.5 hours each way to get them. the best locally is $6.50 each.
              Will keep posted about the build.
              Cheers
              Kriso.
              PS did you manage to have a look at the monier website for the Pompeii pavers?

Comment

Originally posted by kriso View Post
                PS did you manage to have a look at the monier website for the Pompeii pavers?
                Yep, I sent you a PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                X