Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoping to choose & begin soon in Chch NZ. Thoughts required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hoping to choose & begin soon in Chch NZ. Thoughts required.

Due to recent earthquake my project will be delayed. For at least a year I suspect.
    Canterbury Quake Live
    As we only sustained light damage we're expecting it to be a year before insurers get to my minor building and minor contents claim. They hadn't even visited us yet from the Sept 2010 earthquake. I'm certainly not complaining the delay, it's just inconvenient. At least we have a house to live in & no one close to us died. Thousands of others are far less fortunatle that us. In mean time the money that would have gone towards the WFO will be used to replace damaged items. However once we get the insurance payout I'll have a lump of $$$ to get the WFO & area done fairly quickly :-)

Comment

Well said, there are more urgent factors to deal with.

Are you a Lancs lad by any chance?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I chose the user name for various forums while I was based based in UK.
        Born in NZ & moved to Chch when 17 for work. Following redundancy when 28 moved wife, son & daughter (then 4 & 13months) to Newcastle upon Tyne, north east England. Live there 6yrs before heading back to NZ as the roughness of the area, the isolation & lack of freedom had become too much. Been in Chch since & staying in Chch.

I really like this from sports legend Steve Gurney "I find it useful to flip the coin over. These next few years will surely be exciting times. Those who are left in town are the resilient ones, the ones with energy, vision, perspective and those who are able to put the bad stuff in the past, looking instead to the future. These are the kind of people I like to hang with"
        More of his thoughts at Sportzhub - Devastating Earthquake hits my home!

Comment

Some scary figure just released (To give these some scale population of city approx 400,000)

* 996 buildings in the Central Business District (comprising 70% of the CBD) are red-stickered and will likely need to be bulldozed.
          * More than 12,000 residential homes have been earmarked for demolition.
          * 61,000 people are on wage support or earthquake assistance.
          * 30% of all businesses are affected in some form.
          * Hotels are struggling with a 13% occupancy rate.
          * Tourism (the region's single biggest economic contributor) has ground to a halt.

Comment

Hello uke,

Has anyone answered your question(s) posed in post #15?

You can't go wrong if you follow the proven instructions recommended for the Pompeii oven. That is, half fire bricks for the hearth and full size fire bricks laid on their broad side for the hearth. After the build is complete is too late to learn that the 1/3 bricks or thin hearth are not enough. The exception might be for a hearth that is cooling after a few pizzas where you can rake the hot coals back over the hearth then cook a few more pies. Otherwise, I think you may suffer from lack of adequate thermal mass and not be able to correct the situation later. No one seems to complain about the adequacy of an oven built to spec. Best of luck to you whichever design you choose.

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Thanks, no never got an answer re 1/3 bricks. Thought was it would make the oven more time efficent hence would get used more weekdays. As suggetsed I think I'll just build exactly to plan. However due to quake will be minimum a year away before can even start to think about building it.
              Suspect it will be 2012 before I see any insurance money. Still not complaining as some people have 2-5yr waits for housing, some needing to use portaloo or chemical toilets for next 2yrs, etc, etc

Comment

Originally posted by uk_exile View Post
                Thanks, no never got an answer re 1/3 bricks. Thought was it would make the oven more time efficent
                UK,
                I have no experience with 1/3 brick but I believe David (who's oven is 2.5 inches thick), does not have that much improved heat time. Stick with the plans.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I have no experience with 1/3 brick but I believe David (who's oven is 2.5 inches thick), does not have that much improved heat time.
                  I have to agree with this. An oven is an object in motion, and you need enough mass to keep things intact. I know firebricks are foolishly expensive in NZ, but I would say that if you have to economize, you should reduce the diameter of the oven, not it's thickness. People talk about how many pizzas they can cook at a time, but realistically, how many can you make at a time?

I'm thinking that a lot of rigid masonry came apart in the recent earthquake. Maybe if you kept your eyes and ears open you'd find some ex-fireplace or boiler bricks that have come available.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

There's certainly a lot of damaged buildings but I'm seeing very little being recovered for reuse as the scale of the diaster is such that it's mostly going to landfill. There isn't time or resource to do careful demolition. Such a shame and a massive waste but infrastructure re-estabilishment, housing, commerical etc needs are higher priority than recycling.

Comment

Hello uke,

The disaster in NZ will make building materials a premium commodity. Don't wait for ins. money if you can locate the basic materials to start your foundation and base. It will make things much easier if you have some kind of start during the interim. Try to make contacts in the demo industry for the needed bricks. If the quake recovery is anything like the hurricane recovery here then small contractors from all corners of the earth will travel there to look for work. Surely someone will be willing to sell used brick. Materials, when available, may become expensive. Kiwi's are resourceful and resilient. You'll find a way to start your oven.

Cheers,
                      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Update = I'm pretty sure we'll start something in next 2-3 months. Haven't feel a decent aftershock for a few months so time to get started. Current thinking is going for one of these kits. Very low cost & I suspect very user friendly for typical domestic use as fast heat up due to combo of insulating & heat retaining materials

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/a...and-18801.html

Comment

Working...
                        X