kaowol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kaowol

My local supplier here in Canada sells Kaowool for insulation board.
    1- Is it similar to the FB board sold from Forno Bravo?
    2-Is it also good for supporting the weight of the oven
    3- and also is it easy to cut?

thanks wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: kaowol

1- Is it similar to the FB board sold from Forno Bravo?
    One of our members, Ken, had problems with this stuff. It lost it's rigidity when it got wet, and it's very difficult to build an oven and keep the under-oven insulation completely dry.
    2-Is it also good for supporting the weight of the oven
    That's the problem, you can see if it sags in the front when it gets wet, it doesn't help the rigidity of the oven.
    3- and also is it easy to cut?
    They're all easy to cut, with a sawsall or score-and-break. Protect your lungs.

This said, Ken's oven works, he just wouldn't use the same product again.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yep... Don't use Kaowool board under the oven. Turns to MUSH when wet (and you WILL get it wet during the build). You are far better off ordering the right stuff from FB if you can't find a source locally.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I would like to get the FB board but as I am in Canada shipping my be too expensive. Waiting for a quote on this from FB.

When I look locally in the Greater Vancouver area here in Canada I am wondering what I should be looking for. So far all I can find is kaowool and I understand that is not idea so my question is what would the FB board be called if sold under if different name?

Also as I am building this oven for someone else I don't want to have my order held up at the boarder which is out of Forno Bravo's control. I would feel better if I new I was getting a good product and also from a local source.

....thanks wayne
        Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

You can easily cast a slab of insulation using vermicrete. You should be able to access cement and vermiculite locally.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

To continue David S's thoughts... or use perlite in place of vermiculite.

Hope this helps,
            Wiley

Comment

thanks guys....I used the vermiculite last time and was not too fond of it. I would prefer to go with the board if I can get it localy and I am assured it will not be effected by water.

I have been told the Generic name for the FB board is Super Isol Board or Calcium Silicate. Can anyone confirm this or give me a feel as to where this I could buy this in Canada........thanks wayne

Comment

The original FB board was cal-sil. It's expensive and a bit of overkill for our current project. I think the current FB board is a mineral fiber board. It's pretty much the same stuff as Kaowool, but with a better, more water resistant binder. The brand I used is insblock19, made by Harbison-Walker.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

From the info at the FB store,
                  FB board is made from ceramic fiber, just like kaowool board.

Comment

The basic difference is that Kaowool is a Brand name, Isowool is another and, Cerablanket, Pyro-block are all ceramic fiber products. I myself used Isowool ceramic fiber board and blanket for my oven.

Comment

Working...
                    X