Alternative bases & foundations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative bases & foundations

Has anyone had to make do with a less than optimum base size?
    Say I want a 42" oven but only have enough floor space due to existing construction for about a 60" square foundation base. I do have enough room for the oven itself but do not want to destroy the existing brickwork surrounding my limited space for the foundation.
    Is it possible to have the foundation size small, the base built upward from the small foundation with a top to the base that would be cantilevered to the forward and one side of the base?
    In other words, the back and left side of the base would be against a back and side wall. So the front and right side could be cantilevered out and to the other side to allow enough top space for the oven to fit on top. At least 80% of the ovens weight would still be supported by the actual part of the top that is still over the main part of the base and foundation. It should not be off balance at all.
    Any ideas? Suggestions?
    Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Re: Alternative bases & foundations

FM,

There are a few builds here where the oven enclosure has a larger footprint than the base's footprint. If you engineer your support slab with the proper amount of rebar, I wouldn't think 10% unsupported oven weight on each side would pose that much of a problem. Too bad you couldn't construct a circular base so your oven (should it be an igloo) comes out looking like a giant mushroom!

Comment

I think my base was 60*60 so I cantalevered the 4 inch concrete pad out to accomodate the 42 inch oven. Form work and 2x4 supports.

Good Luck

Comment

You can absolutely do it, you just need rebar to provide more structural support and possibly a 6" thick deck (I'm guessing). Your doing nothing different than how skyscrapers are made, just on a much smaller scale.
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Cantilevering will work fine. In fact, it may be stronger because it puts your support structure below the dome, rather than below the exterior insulation.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good, I guess now I have to start getting some of the ideas out of my head and onto some paper...
            Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

My oven stand has a much smaller footprint than the oven support slab. I put the stand under where the weight is.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My only problem is that the support slab for me has to be a bit off center. I suppose it shouldn't be a problem as long as the support is sufficient and the load spread and balance
                Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

I built my oven on 3 concrete columns.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

You cantilever will be less than a foot. You won't have any problems.

Placement of reinforcing steel will be a bit more important. The ends of the the rebar should either be "hooked" or bent 90 degrees for 6 inches or so to tie to the edge rebar.

Dead ending rebar is always less than desirable. It takes a certain length of rebar embedment in concrete to transfer the tension to the concrete. This length is usually taken to be about 30 times the diameter (i.e. for 3/8 inch rebar = 11 inches).
                    Last edited by Neil2; 02-19-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X