Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out materials...HELPPPP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out materials...HELPPPP!!!

I have been told by my wife that I need to build her a Pompei Oven, so because of the fact I like living indoors I will obilge her... I am sure what I am going to ask has been asked, and answered, but I can not see going through 4yrs worth of post,so hopefully someone can just give me the answers..

I am trying to get all material together now so when spring comes I can run with this... If I plan on building a 42" Pompei, How much of the following products do you suggest.. I know that different designs make the numbers differ, but lets assume a overage of 10% , so if I need 10 bags cement say 11, 100 firebrick make it 110...(Any info is greatly appreciated, like where to get the harder stuff,, Vermiculite,Fire Clay,Refactory Mortar) Thank You in Advance...

How MANY/MUCH?????

1.Firebricks
    2.Portland Cement(What Kind)
    3.Fire Clay
    4.Vermiculite
    5.Cement Blocks(Type)
    6.Refactory Mortar(What Kind)

Re: Trying to figure out materials...HELPPPP!!!

Just download the free Pompeii plans from Forno Bravo. A detailed materials list for 36" and 42" ovens appears at the end of the manual.

Comment

Vermiculite can be found at your local hydroponics shop. Fire Bricks, Portland Cement, Cement blocks and refractory mortar can be found at your local brick/mason supply vendor. Unless you have a lot of money to burn seriously consider using the home brew mix that you can find the recipe for in this forum. I made the mistake of buying refractory cement in 10 lb containers. Ended up being one of the most expensive parts of the build. If you go w/the commercial refractory cement, locate someone who can supply you with the 50 lb bags of Heat Stop, which is one of the major brands of refractory cement. You may have to pay shipping for the bigger bags. However, take it from experience, it will be cheaper. While you did not ask about it, you will likely also want to invest in ceramic board and blankets. The board goes under the hearth and the blanket goes over the completed dome. You can either order this material through Forno Bravo or find it locally at a commercial insulation vendor. Buying locally will save you freight.

You are also going to want to invest in a wet saw w/as big of a blade as you can afford. Harbor Freight has the best price thHoat I have seen on the wet saw. Remember that you are going to have a saw that cuts both cement block and bricks. Having at least a 14" blade is going to make this job easier. Unless you are patient and have a lot of time on your hands, do not be tempted to by a wet saw designed to cut tiles. I did not follow my own advice. I bought the tile saw only to burn it out after cutting the bricks for the hearth. I ended up buying the MK Diamond MX-4 saw. It was a little pricey. However, my stress level went way down knowing that I could now cut any size cement block or brick.

Comment

The other thing you can do is open up a thread that covers the build from start to finish and manually count the bricks per each course. Remember to use this number and divide whole bricks by two since per the FB plans you'll be cutting them in half. (A note pad and pencil helps alot here!) Buy 10% more than your brick (half) total and you'll be pretty close. I would suggest if you buy Heatstop or refmix to buy one 50lb bag at a time and if (depending on your joint size) you run out, grab another bag.

Comment

find it locally at a commercial insulation vendor
          Most likely a specialized refractory dealer. Looking for "insulation" will lead you down all sorts of dead ends.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Does anyone know where you can get Larger size Refractory Brick(online) or Local for the Cooking floor.. 12x12 or bigger?????? Also I am located in Northern NJ...

Comment

Harbison Walker (ANH refractories)
              868 Elston
              Rahway, NJ 07065

Has them: I looked into them but they were FAR more expensive than firebrick. Ask for refractory tiles.

Comment

Thank thou for that info. I called they said 12x12x1.5, cost(15.97). Due to the fact that the tile are only 1.5inches, how will this effect oven or temp. Should I compensate for it by pouring thicker layer of Vermicrete, say extra inch..

Comment

That's a good question. You need more thermal mass rather than more insulation, if anything. Maybe someone who has used refractory tiles will jump in here.

Comment

Working...
                  X