2 questions to get started??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions to get started??

I am ready to start on my dome and i have 2 questions. first when you mix the sand, fire clay and water to lay the floor what is the ratio of sand to clay and what grit sand should be used. next my fire clay is called mortar clay and the dealers said to mix this 3 parts mortar to 1 part clay. does this sound ok. (as mortar is sand lime and cement correct) or should i buy the sand ,cement and lime and mix in the 1-3-1-1 ratio. thanks for all the help. This forum is great.

Re: 2 questions to get started??

Hi Jersey,

The sand in store bought mortar is not refractory grade. Get silica sand in 120 grit. It is available in grit sizes from 50 to 200 but I've had success with both 60 and 120. Use the 1-3-1-1 Poor Man's Mortar

It is OK to vary the ratio of the recommended ingredients a little. You can add half part lime and increase the clay by the same without a problem.

You might find it easier if you mix enough to place four half bricks at a time. Keep a sponge and spray bottle handy to dampen your bricks if they've gotten a little dry. You'll find them especially handy for wetting bricks from the previous session.

Best of luck on your build.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Thanks Bob that helps alot. Do you have any idea on the ratio of sand to clay to put on the fb board for the floor thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jersey View Post
        Thanks Bob that helps alot. Do you have any idea on the ratio of sand to clay to put on the fb board for the floor thanks.
        Mix the sand and fireclay 50/50. You can also put the mixture down dry, lay the floor the way you want it, then wet the bricks. It's just a leveling medium, and you may find that your insulation boards are flat enough not to need anything for leveling. I'd lay the bricks out first and check.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Jersey,

I see Dmun has answered already. In addition, you will want to get the layer as even as possible. Some folks use a notched trowel. You can also lay down long thin strips of rod or dowel and screed over them to get an even layer. Go easy when you tamp the bricks in place since some fire bricks are sensitive to impact and you don't want to chip an edge. Use a hammer and wood block or a dead-blow hammer.

Best,
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
          X