X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilfornaio
    replied
    Re: Building my Oven with a mix of plans

Complimenti, buon lavoro bmw quando hai completato il forno??

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

The oven looks like it's working nicely, and the whole project looks great!

Enjoy working on your pizza making skills.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Well I finally finished my oven and cooked my first pizza. Oven worked great, my pizza making skills on the other hand needs some work, But that is a discussion for a different post. Thank you all for the help.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Davds thanks for the advice, that’s what I’m going to do tomorrow, just hop down to the hardware store and get the additive.

shuboyje: The reason is that i did not build it like the traditional hemispherical, I basically built a spherical dome and placed it atop a sailor course. The sailor course is mostly taking up by the used brick surround the idea was that it would look like a round dome atop a used brick base. At least that is what has been stuck in my head since I started, well see how it turns out.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Bmwdiver View Post
    Do you use a fiberglass cloth or simply fiberglass stucco over the insulation? I found a few other people that just stucco'd over the insulation but not enough to determine whether or not this is a good idea.

Brian
    No I don't use fibreglass, I use plastic fibres that are designed for concrete reinforcing. Be careful with fibreglass reinforcing, it has to be an alkaline resistant type, called AR fibreglass.

Leave a comment:

• shuboyje
    replied

I'd consider 24" to be very tall, but it's only a few inches above a hemispherical 42" oven which many have built. Normally upright courses of any type go hand in hand with lower ovens, even if only slightly so. Thats part of why yours threw me for a loop.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Bmwdiver,
    Don't know what kind of mesh you are using, but I used to use fine chicken wire and found the best way was to cut it into small pieces overlapping one another. you can either wire the whole lot in or place the pieces as you go. The smaller pieces cope with the problem of working over a compound curve. I no longer use mesh, but use fibres instead now- much easier.
    Do you use a fiberglass cloth or simply fiberglass stucco over the insulation? I found a few other people that just stucco'd over the insulation but not enough to determine whether or not this is a good idea.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
    I don't have help with the lath, didn't use it on my first oven and am just starting with it on my second oven right now. My question is about your dome. Did you build a full hemispherical dome on top of your soldier course? I just ask because your door looks extremely tall, which leads me to believe your dome is also.
    Shuboyje: Yes I did a full hemi over the Soldier course (actually Sailor in my case) the door opening is actually an optical illusion I have not yet added the outer landing bricks (antique bricks) so it appears larger than it actually is.

the inner opening is 13" the outer opening will be 17" this is because I am building a vintage looking door out of Epay. the inner dome height is 24". Not by design or anything just where it turned out as i built up Since this is my first oven I'm not sure if that is considered tall or not.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Bmwdiver,
    Don't know what kind of mesh you are using, but I used to use fine chicken wire and found the best way was to cut it into small pieces overlapping one another. you can either wire the whole lot in or place the pieces as you go. The smaller pieces cope with the problem of working over a compound curve. I no longer use mesh, but use fibres instead now- much easier.

Leave a comment:

• shuboyje
    replied

I don't have help with the lath, didn't use it on my first oven and am just starting with it on my second oven right now. My question is about your dome. Did you build a full hemispherical dome on top of your soldier course? I just ask because your door looks extremely tall, which leads me to believe your dome is also.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Ok well it?s been a while and I have been bad about posting progress pictures. But all is going very well, although I am now running into a minor problem.

I?m trying to stucco the outer finish layer and can?t seem to get the stucco screen to lay against the oven in any uniform way. If there are there any techniques out there that someone would like to share to make this easier, they would be greatly appreciated.

Current progress pics?

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"If full-length soldiers are installed, would a 6" outside layer of vermicrete sandwiched between dome and a concrete wall, say, be an effective buttress? "

Not too many domes collapse outwards (I don't recall any on this site). Vermicrete with a concrete wall would be more than adequate. The wall would only need to be a couple of inches high.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Bmwdiver, do you remember the range of repairs Salvo did?
    From what I remember it was mainly hearth repair/replace and dome brick replacements.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdiver
    replied

That's one I plan on correcting after I decide on soldier or sailor first course. The floor will be marked and the excess will be cut off.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

"Another questionable element in your design is the brick floor that extends past the perimeter of your oven." Good point GianniFocaccia

Leave a comment:

Working...
X