How small can an oven be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How small can an oven be?

I am just beginning to think about building a pizza oven in our home, and I have a good place for it, but the challenge is the size--I only have a maximum footprint for the foundation of 3'-8" x 3'-0". Is it possible to build a oven with such a small space? And if so, what is the largest diameter cooking area I could have?

Re: How small can an oven be?

Check out the free FB Pompeii oven plans on this site. Factor in the wall thickness, insulation, render/enclosure thickness and you're there. I'm pretty sure you don't want to go any smaller than 24" id.

Comment

Do you have space for overhang beyond the foundation?
      My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

I would recommend one of FB's kits, because their cast refractory is thinner than firebrick, saving you a lot of space and providing similar results to a brick oven.

OR building a barrel vault oven to the FB specs (insulated, etc, etc) rather than a hemispherical oven will also yield you more floor space if the FB kits are out of your price range.

Comment

Originally posted by mklingles View Post
          Do you have space for overhang beyond the foundation?
          Yes, I could extend an overhang a little ways out, perhaps 8-12 inches.

Comment

Hi Corvid,

Can you post a photo of the oven area with some kind of scale or measurement so we can get an idea of the size oven that can be put there? Of course, the inside of the oven is where you cook but the outside is a much larger diameter due to the thickness of the bricks, insulation and covering/enclosure. Will it be inside the house or on a patio or out in the yard?

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

If you can overhang (cantilever) 8 inches each side, you have plenty of room for a 34 to 36 incher. A very useful size.

Comment

I cantilevered my supporting slab which is 3 ft x3 ft The stand is 23" x23" Oven is 21" int. Diam.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X