Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning bylaws and briquettes?

Hi,
    Turns out our local bylaws, (Victoria, Canada), do not allow any outside burning, ever, including "solid fuel burning devices", unless it is fueled by gas or briquettes.

Outdoor ovens, fireplaces, campfires, and wood heated hot-tubs(!) are BANNED,

Indoor ovens are OK. So maybe that is an option. Not sure I want to go with propane. Has anyone any experience heating a 42" oven with briquettes?

Comments on bylaws anywhere and your experience dealing with them are welcome.

Re: Burning bylaws and briquettes?

I would assume that the law is aimed at preventing devastating fires. I suppose briquettes don't pose a flying ember risk like many wood products do. Those more experienced with these ovens should be able to provide more information, but I can't ssee why briquettes would not work. Afterall, that is what hardwood turns into as it burns.

Comment

I think the bylaws are designed to stop air pollution, from backyard refuse burning, in a highly urban environment. However, forest fires are also an issue here, and building is primarily wood construction, with lots of cedar shake roofs around.

Interesting that the Municipality next door, equally urban, will allow ovens as long as they have a latching door that is closed during use.

Comment

Andrew, will they allow you to burn coal? I think it burns hotter than briquettes and would be less expensive to use.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

How about getting a nice large pile of briquettes burning and add a few phantom logs on the pile? They will no doubt ignite quickly and burn quite efficiently with minimal (smoke) effect on the environment. The resulting calories could at least get your dome up to temp and the residual coals could be used to recharge your hearth.

Comment

A workaround...

Build a pavilion, (read 'building'), with sides that open. You would be using an oven inside a building then. The transformer building could be quite a novel thing. Use you imagination

Or, you could move where the govt is less restrictive of your personal freedoms
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

You'll go broke burning briquettes. A twenty pound bag will disappear like snow in June.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                You'll go broke burning briquettes. A twenty pound bag will disappear like snow in June.
                If one believes what is said on this forum, you need the flames to keep the oven at pizza temperature, coals won't keep the temperature high enough to keep the oven floor in the 650-900 F range.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Buy a kitchen oven that will crank to 700 or 750. /sarcasm on/ That way you can destroy the environment indirectly instead of directly. /sarcasm off/

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                    A twenty pound bag will disappear like snow in June.
                    Better qualify that comment: Northern hemisphere
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Go down to City hall and talk to the bylaw people.

Comment

I use Kingsford briquettes quite frequently in my wfo for other types of cooks, mainly grilling and for slow cooks. Every spring and summer I stock up on briquettes when they go on sale at Home Depot or Lowes. During Memorial Day and July 4th holidays Kingsford briquettes can be had for under $10 for 40 lbs worth (double 20 lb bags). I always buy enough to last me (even through winter) at least until the next sale.
                        I live in a "Very High Fire Severity Zone" as classified by the local fire department so I try to burn as little wood as I can. For all I know, wood burning is most likely banned here....but I wanted and built the oven, regardless, without checking. Last thing I want is for the FD to find out I have a wfo.

Last edited by fxpose; 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                          I always buy enough to last me
                          Damn! - your picture makes me want to buy stock in Kingsford.
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                            Damn! - your picture makes me want to buy stock in Kingsford.
                            Go to any BBQ forum......you'll see guys making multiple trips to Home Depot to fill their garages with this stuff. HD usually have 4 item limits on deals like this but I've seen guys load up their truck on one trip as well....lol...
                            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
                              Go down to City hall and talk to the bylaw people.
                              I like Neil2's suggestion. You are not out anything by making the trip, and you might get some clarification in your favour. Alternatively, ask a neighbour who is not building a WFO to go instead. That way if they ask for a name it doesn't matter.

...Gef

Comment

Working...
                              X