Base Block size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Block size?

My contractor is about to start construction of the base for my Casa90 oven. He will be using 7 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 3 1/2" blocks. They will be covered by Granbury stone (Texas) and he tells me that there will be a column of concrete approximately 2 inch thick between the blocks and the stones for added strength.
    My question is, does this seem adequate?

Phil

Re: Base Block size?

Technically, they are 3-5/8x7-5/8x15-5/8 (4x8x16 nominal) CMU, and his plan will work and is adequate but is not standard construction technique. It would not be allowed as a veneer wall for a house for example, much less for a load bearing wall.

You would be better served with 6x8x16 CMU with the 4" veneer stone laid tight to the CMU with corrugated wall ties spaced at 16" vertically and 24" horizontally. Corner cells and every third or fourth cell should be grouted solid with rebar from the foundation slab extending through the base and into the hearth slab.

6" CMU cost nominally more than 4" CMU but are easier and faster to lay and have cores wide enough to grout properly.

Comment

Amateur builders use the eight inch wide blocks as they have a big enough void to fill when you use the dry stack technique. I agree that six is enough if you are laying them up with mortar.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Launch pad is ready. Check out the pic.

Comment

looks good Phil. nice too see a few Dallas area enthusiasts here.

Comment

Hi from Frisco,
            Looks good, we have the same size pad.

Originally posted by PlanoPhil View Post
            Launch pad is ready. Check out the pic.

Comment

I like the rock on the stand!
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
              X