Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking floor question.

Hello,
    Well the snow is finally gone and the build continues. I am just starting on my hearth stand, and I have been wrestling with the optimum cooking floor heighth. Just curious on what others have done and if your happy with the outcome.
    Thanks
    Fenton

Re: Cooking floor question.

My floor is 51 inches high.

You will find a good thread on this subject here.
    Last edited by Lburou; 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Around elbow height was the consensus.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Around elbow height was the consensus.
        I reread that thread and made a few notes. To date, 12 people actually mentioned their hearth height. Of those 12, 7 were below 44", (about 112 cm), and five were 44 inches or higher.

Three owners of shorter ovens said they wished their hearth was higher....

I've noticed another half dozen here and there who wanted their ovens higher also, never noticed anyone saying they wanted the oven lower (I built higher).....So its a function of what you want, sometimes influenced by the location of the oven and the social setting you want to create.

You can adapt to most any height
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to go for 50" My neighbors probably think i'm nuts standing in the back yard with a broom as a peel and a tape measure. I just finished my first course of field stone on my hearth, that was interesting. Thanks for all the great info.
          Fenton

Comment

Working...
          X