Using Insulating Bricks/vermicrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Insulating Bricks/vermicrete

We are planning a 32" Pompei oven. So far we have acquired some high performance white insulating bricks , 42% alumina fire bricks and 4 large square 4 inch thick 42% alumina slabs.

Our plan is to use two layers of insulating bricks for the base, followed by the slabs. Build the dome with half firebricks and then another course of insulating bricks over the entire dome.

First of all does this sound feasible?

Would we need to use vermicrete to secure the insulating brick base?

Would vermicrete be appropriate to fix the insulating bricks over the firebrick dome and also as a final application to complete the domes outer layer?

What are the ratios of cement/sand /vermiculite, and is horticultural vermiculite appropriate.

Thanks in advance
    Jo

Re: Using Insulating Bricks/vermicrete

You need to read the free plans.
    eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store

From what I understand from your question you are going about it all wrong.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Could you please be more specific, thanks

Comment

There are lots of threads on this forum showing peoples builds, you will just have to search.

Heres my latest build.

A quick run down of a typical build from the base up.
        Base, concrete.
        Vermiculite concrete and/or calcium silicate board for insulation
        Firebrick hearth, 100mm thickish for thermal mass.
        Oven, either dome or barrel.
        Ceramic blanket for insulation.
        Vermiculite for insulation.
        Outer shell preferably weather proof.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and sorry for posting in different places, thought I would get a few different opinions as there seems to be many ways to do it.

Anyway, on to one of the questions.

Because we have managed to get so many high performance insulating bricks we wanted to use this in place of an insulating concrete slab for the base. So, the question is as we are using a double layer do we just dry lay these, secure them with cement/adhesive or alternatively use a band to stop them spreading?

Once the insulating base is in place do we use cement or adhesive to secure the hearth or dry lay this too.

If the answer is to use cement or adhesive what type should be used and is s the same mix used for all layers or is it necessary to use for example vermicrete for the insulating bricks and fire cement for the hearth.

Thanks everyone
          Jo

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin2 View Post
            Because we have managed to get so many high performance insulating bricks we wanted to use this in place of an insulating concrete slab for the base. So, the question is as we are using a double layer do we just dry lay these, secure them with cement/adhesive or alternatively use a band to stop them spreading?
            Yes

Once the insulating base is in place do we use cement or adhesive to secure the hearth or dry lay this too.
            Yes

If the answer is to use cement or adhesive what type should be used and is s the same mix used for all layers or is it necessary to use for example vermicrete for the insulating bricks and fire cement for the hearth.
            Yes

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Annoying, isnt it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

yes, YES, YES! It is getting annoying. I first chalked it up as being a newbie. Then the third one.......And brickie jumps right in, to the point, but responds to all 3 in the same way. This is like a train wreck, no matter how hard you try not to, you are going to look.

RT

Comment

Im sorry guys if Ive upset any one.
                  Newbie isnt the term Id use, more like troll..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I find it comical. For once, I am not the one being critical and getting annoyed by the words/actions of others.

I've been known to be a bit harsh with those who just don't listen and do not utilize the vast amount of information on this forum. Rather than download the plans, read through tons of usefull detailed threads like most of us have, some people look to ask every basic question, want to contradict best practices, and question every answer they are given to their previous question.

My advice to all newbies and trolls - do the research, ask your questions in the appropriate category (not EVERY category), wait for some answers, proceed with you build. If you find a better way of doing something, great we would love to hear about. Just don't expect universal validation and total agreement with every new/different step you take. If it is new to you and you have not seen it done in other threads, it is probably new to everyone.

Now, how many threads should I copy this post to?

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                      Now, how many threads should I copy this post to?

RT
                      It has to be in triplicate.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                      X