42" Dome Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Dome Question

I have started on a 42" pompeii dome. I used 21 inches for a final dome height, but have been reading the high dome model should be around 19-20 inches. I have about 3 chains up from floor level completed. Should I change my template at this point, or is this calculation one that's not so critical?

Leigh

Re: 42" Dome Question

You're probably already done with it, but it caught my interest.
    I graphed the different options and it looks like you could change the profile without much difficulty.
    From all I've read, either of the heights 19-21" should work fine for your oven.
    What did your final dome height wind up being?

Jeff
    Jeff
    My 42-inch build

Comment

Mklingles analyzed the radiant heat distribution from domes with different heights (2-3in) and summarized the variances as insignificant. As long as your door height remains close to the ideal 63% of dome height you're fine.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I ended up reprofiling my template toward the top to end up with about 19 - 19.5 inches. I'm still at the inner arch transition with the build. The build is in the Pompeii section under Pensacola Build. Thanks again for your help.

Leigh

Comment

Actually, I profiled to a 20 inch dome height with a 12.5 inch inner arch for a ratio of around 63%.

Comment

Working...
          X