Metal gauge/thickness for metal stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal gauge/thickness for metal stand

I would like to build a metal base for my oven and have seen some great ideas on the forum. My question is what gauge or thickness of metal will be needed to support the weight? I was going to use 2" square tube and I have the choice of 1/8 or 1/4" wall thickness. Will 1/8 be enough? It would have at least 6 legs and a center support with diagonal bracing as well.

Thanks for any advice you may have. Excited to get started!
    My oven, start to... getting close.

Re: Metal gauge/thickness for metal stand

I do a lot of fab and welding work, and while I think that 1/8" would be suffcient, I would use 1/4" if it were me. For one, there is more metal to burn into to get a nice root pass when welding, and two, it will withstand a lot more crossforce and latereal stress. There are a lot of factors that you are leaving out( bracing, gusseting, dimensions, cross-members, ect) but to play it safe I would for sure use 1/4". I plan to make a metal base as well, but will be using 3/8" angle only for the fact that it was free. I fabricate frames everyday using 1/4" and 3/8" that are used to support 10,000 lbs. day in and day out with no problem. Good luck!

Comment

You don't say how big/heavy your oven is, but even a small oven is heavy. I suggest you use at least 1/4" and include some diagonal bracing.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hello I'm new to the forum, and I was reading the forum in hopes of finding a similar question to this persons.

So I'm gonna hijack your thread a bid, and ask a few more questions pertaining to this. Now, I don't wish to use a sheet of metal between the slab of fire bricks and metal, I was thinking of making a brace but I suppose a bit more skimpy with L 1/8 inch thick stuff, or maybe some tubing. I'm trying to make it cheap, but something that would look similar to our grill, which will probably be next to it cooking food as well.

I presume this will be a more of a family get-together type of usage.

Also, how thick should be the fire bricks to the actual oven area, like what thickness of bricks etc, or should I lay a brick layer before I even begin putting fire bricks down. Thanks!

Comment

Hello All,

You need a layer of insulation under the hearth bricks. At least two inches of ceramic fiber board or possibly five inches of Portland cement based vermicrete or perlcrete. (Vermiculite or perlite mixed with Portland cement and placed in a 5:1 ratio into a form. Put your bricks on the insulation after a couple of days. (You can get some ideas by reading the free Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans).

Cheers,
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Appreciate it, I'm a numbers guy so I'm planning out the budget sorta and just wanna make sure it is functional with good price management (and looks good).

Comment

Well the base is now under way. I took jbriggs advice and went with 1/4" wall pipe for the legs. They are 3 1/2 in diameter with 1 1/2 square pipe at the top and 1 1/2 round at the bottom. For the deck I went back and forth between steel or concrete. I ended up with 3/8" plate 48"x70". Heavy stuff. I'll try and post a few photos soon. I really like how it turned out.

Comment

Here are some photos of the progress so far. Last night we took a plasma cutter to the sheet and cut the shapes out. Don't know if I can ever cut with a grinder again.

The stand has 6" wheels rated at 1200lbs each. It's quite tall and will tuck up against our patio/deck which is 16" above ground.

I also was able to get a bunch of leftover ceramic board. I should have enough to do 3" under the hearth.

Comment

I think you should put some diagonal bracing on the steel stand. It may seem really sturdy now, but with lots of weight on it, not so.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Good suggestion David. I just finished putting on braces and will take a few more photos in the morning.

Comment

I added diagonal braces on the top corners in each direction as well as across the top.

Comment

Mine use 5cm x 5cm square metal for the foot, 2mm thickness and 5mm for diagonal bracing. Here is the photo after finishing the concrete base.

Comment

Working...
                        X