Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high the stand?

Gentlemen,

Forty years ago my sister ask me to build a coffee table for her and her girlfriend who had rented an apartment, them right out of high school. I asked how high of a coffee table they wanted and they didn't know, so I reasoned a 'table' should be up off the ground high enough to get your knees under it. And went home and built their table.
    I heard later amid howls of laughter that they had hauled the coffee table across town to their apartment, up two flights of stairs and set it in their new apartment, sat down and turned on the TV. Jack, that is not a coffee table but a picnic table! We couldn't even see the TV. We had to drag the dxxxxx thing down 2 flights of stairs, load it in my Dodge Challenger and haul the thing off, across town and dump it here. Come and get it

I still have it out on my porch and a real good table it is. But now that I am faced with building a wood fired Pizza oven wouldn't 'lower to the ground' be easier and cheaper? My Weber grille is about 14" tall. To use it and my Oklahoma Joe smoker, one must sit on a milk crate.
    Why not build the stand for the oven where one sits on ones milk crate to load and unload it as well?

I wouldn't want use the stand for storage because sticking ones head in that 'hog hole' while on your knees is dangerous with yellow jackets, wasps, brown recluse spiders, and copperheads living over the hole.
    Build a design lower to the ground and sit down to load and unload?

Thank you...

J. Winters von Knife
    Sandymay and Dukedog
    Last edited by jacktheknife; 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM.

Re: How high the stand?

Hearth height is important and pretty much an individual thing. Mine is 44 inches. Build a mock up and try it out with a peel.

Comment

There is a good thread about this here.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Stand height is completely up to you. If you wanted to use your oven while sitting in a chair, then 30" should be ok. Being that most of us will be standing while we tend to our food, usually you want something in the 42" to 48" range.
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...ild-15677.html

Picasa Photo Library:
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1020617...72/WFOProject#

Comment

Originally posted by Cdubs View Post
          Stand height is completely up to you. If you wanted to use your oven while sitting in a chair, then 30" should be ok. Being that most of us will be standing while we tend to our food, usually you want something in the 42" to 48" range.
          I think of children, and their safety, at those lower heights.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
            I think of children, and their safety, at those lower heights.
            Good thinking, it makes them easier to chuck in.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You don't want it too low. You cant see the food. You don't want to be hunched over for hours it will drive you crazy. But it's all how you will use it. How tall are you? Most pros have a high stand so they can see whats going on inside. But I agree with Neil, make a mock up and see how it feels or check out another oven.

Mike

Comment

Yeah, making pizza isn't a sit-down job. You'll wreck your back with this plan. Unless you were confined to a wheel chair, I'd go for elbow height.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Gentlemen,

Elbow/waist height it is.
                  I understand now and I thank y'all for the advise. I am 59
                  6' 2" and disabled from a upper spinal injury.
                  Since Pizza cooks real fast at high heat.
                  You have to:
                  1. See it fast.
                  2. be able to move it out of the oven fast. Nothing slow with Pizza.
                  I don't want to have to sit down and stand up in order to see or adjust the Pizza. I never thought of that. Can't move my smoker but I can put my Weber grille on a table.

Thank you...

Jack the Knife...
                  Last edited by jacktheknife; 05-11-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I'm probably going to be one of those people who wishes my oven was higher, in part because of a communication error with my mason who built the counter. I asked for a height of 39", because I wanted my oven floor to be the same height as my counter. But I didn't realize the patio had 3" of drop over the run of the counter (counter is level, patio sloped for drainage), and he made it 39" at the low end, which means the oven floor is closer to 36". However I think the saving grace is that by having the counter to lean on, it makes bending to look in the back of the oven easier. Also, I can see the main cooking area by looking down while standing, and the fire is a nice eye height while seated.

-P

Comment

Working...
                    X