think i made a boo boo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• think i made a boo boo

i think i made a big mistake i poured my slab without insulation hoping ther is a remedy to this problem without major renovation

Re: think i made a boo boo

I think your fine. Insulation goes on top of your slab. Are you using insulation board or a vermiculite/Portland for your insulation?

Comment

not sure can i use 2 inch foam board

Comment

Why? Also who's plans are you using? And what type of oven?

Comment

Typically when you say slab you referring to the bottom-most portion.... do you mean hearth? Perhaps some pics to help understand the problem.
          Did you start the dome already and that's why you don't think you can? Too many variables, not enough info.
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Foam board is no good (it will melt), but the fancy iso board sold by fornobravo is great. What I did was pour 3" of concrete followed by 3" of vermiculite concrete. You can do this as an overpour on your existing slab- it's not as good an insulator as the hi tech stuff but it's way cheaper. It's also soft and crumbly, so don't leave any exposed in the finished structure! It is strong/dense enough to support the hearth, I just wouldn't leave any exposed to the elements.

Comment

thanks for info sorry i wasnt more specific when i first posted building 36 inch dome i ended up putting 3/8 hi denesity insulation with 1/2 inch cement board on top and then laid the hearth in fire clay high heat refactory mortor hope this works because i laid my first course and two rows above on my way im sure ill be back for help again talk to ya soon

Comment

Originally posted by Tomm View Post
                3/8 hi denesity insulation with 1/2 inch cement board
                I think you need 2 inches minimum. And whats up with putting durock on top of the insulation? Are you building to a set of plans? It's not too late to get on track.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Tomm,
                  STOP what you are doing.

3/8" high density insulation? First and foremost, 3/8" is just about worthless, not quite, but just about. Second, you say high density, don't all manufacturers call all of the different types of insulation "high density"? What is the composition? You need a REFRACTORY product such as ceramic fiber board (minimum of 2 ") or vermiculite concrete or perlite concrete (minimum of 4" of either of these). Most of the products calling themselves "high density" are either styrofoam or fiberglass based and are not rated for temps anywhere near those achieved in our ovens.
                  As for the cement board on top...????????????

Please, go to the Forno Bravo store and purchase (FREE!!!) the Pompeii oven plans, they will set you straight and get you to building an oven that will actually perform, not just lead to massive deforestation due to the huge amounts of wood you will be burning trying to achieve and maintain pizza temps.
                  I would also recommend spending AT LEAST a few hours checking out the many incredible oven builds on this forum. A lot of members have gone to great lengths to document their builds for others to learn from and drool over.

Good luck and keep us posted

RT

Comment

insulation has foil face and r- value of 11 just as much as 2 inch

Comment

You should STOP whatever it is you're doing because it's all new ground. This insulation you're using... foil-face? This sounds more like home-center house insulation board than high-heat. It's only two rows; you should take it apart, clean off the bricks so you can re-use them, then re-do the hearth deck with the proper insulation. It does seem from your comments you are not following the proven, time-tested version from the plans.
                      My oven (for now):
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Please Tomm, stop building. You have made VERY critical errors on the most important part of your oven. If you continue on, your oven performance will be a huge disappointment (it won't work).

We are here to help. PLEASE download the plans and spend a week studying them; then come back and start picking our brains.
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

ditto to all the posts.
                          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Tomm

There are a lot of folks on this board willing to assist you. As mentioned by several - FREEZE. Do not do more work. If you continue down this course, it will be questionable if your oven will ever work properly. You have too many hours invested at this point to waste it.

The good thing is that you recognized it. Feel free to message anyone and we will happily help you work through the error. We all had issues going along, and I can definitely say that several folks messaged me back to questions.

Your Brother in Pizza!

Chris
                            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

One more try, then I give up.

What is the temperature rating? YOU CANNOT use any household insulation, nothing that you purchased at a local big box or hardware store.
                              We are talking about temps at or above 1000F for an extended period of time. IT WILL MELT AND OR BURN.
                              You need refractory (extreme high heat materials).

RT

Comment

Working...
                              X