steel framing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steel framing

In the process of designing my enclosure and was planning to use steel. What do folks use to join the steel at angles such as for rafters, surely folks are not all welding these pieces, are there special steel brackets people are using?

Thanks

Re: steel framing

I used steel pop rivets with washers...easy to use and they seem to be pretty solid. Plus they lay mosly flat on the top side so laying board over them is fairly easy

Peter
    Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Are you referring to the metal 2x4 studs? I didn't go that route, but I think you just use tin snips to shape it and screws to hold. Pretty simple process.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hello tifosi,

The place where you buy the steel studs should have half inch long, self-taping, screws to join the studs. They have a shallow dome head and lay pretty flat.

Use tin snips to cut the studs. If you use cement board on the outside then buy the greenish colored cement board screws. They are coated to prevent corrosion and have a self-countersink feature.

You can get pretty creative with steel studs and with a little planning you can have a frame up in a day. If you need to anchor the steel track then you'll need an hammer drill and concrete bit. Tap-Con sells concrete screws and drill bits. I used 2" concrete screws and 1/4" washers to fasten the track to the hearth slab. You can follow conventional wood framing techniques or get creative and use the cement board as a structural element and reduce the number of studs and top plate. I don't have a photo of that style but you can view my builds and maybe get an idea from what I did.

Cheers,
        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

thanks, the pics do help, however I am using structural steel (thats what the inspector wanted) so I can't really bend the tabs when joining the pieces at an angle. I am fine for the normal wall, I have those screws, its really where the pieces come together at the top of the roof at an angle, with wood I could use a hanger or just nail through the wood piece, this is not an option with steel.

Comment

Wow...talk about overkill. I guess rivets aren't going to work for you either. I haven't seen anyone else use structural steel but there are a lot of people on the forum. Maybe some sort of flat steel plate to tie the members together at the peaks..Did the inspector give a reason for it needing to be structural steel? Once properly insulated you won't see exterior temps much above ambient temperatures. Keep us posted, you have my attention sir..

Peter
            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

get ready to laugh - he was worried about a snow load up here in NJ. I pointed out that no one would be living inside this "house". At the time it was easier to agree than to argue, quite ironically some folks in town are trying to get him replaced since he is such a stickler and sometimes a PIA, honestly I have never had a problem with him but thought it was overkill when he asked for this.

Comment

Any possibility of having him revisit his decision....you could show him some of the ovens being built all over the world using steel studs. They are really quite strong and along with a decently pitched roof I doubt any snow will build up.. Perhaps you will be doing some welding
                Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Hello tifosi,

I'd contact the engineering department and ask for clarification of the standard cited by the inspector. If you don't get anywhere you can always appeal through an administrative appeals process. I've been involved in the process many times. The agencies don't always win.

Cheers,
                  Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I found someone who use square tube steel for his enclosure, welded of course...here is the link to his thread if you want to have a look

Peter

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...d-13300-6.html
                    Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Working...
                    X