stuccoing the dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuccoing the dome

I'm about to insulate and begin the stucco process. Does stucco go directly onto the insulating blankets, or do we use the metal lathe sheets over the insulation and then apply stucco? It looks pretty difficult to use the lathe and still maintain the dome shape.

Re: stuccoing the dome

metal lath... i used the sheet stuff that the brickies use, only because i had some. a lot of cuts and a lot of wire to shape it, tore up my hands pretty good.. i'ld use a couple of layers of chicken wire if i had to do it again.

Comment

You also might give hardware cloth a try. It is what I used and by crimping/bending the wires of the individual squares one can cause the cloth to have shape. you will still have to cut some darts but one can make a shape that is nicely curved/rounded using the technique.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/s...html#post40207

It's been over three years since I started my build and almost three since I first painted (and the only time I have painted) the finished dome. I am hoping to paint it before the rainy season starts here.

Hope this helps,
      Wiley

Comment

Thanks for the response. I kind of figured it out with the lathe. I wish I had found something more flexible. I finished two coats of stucco before the rains hit for the last three days. The dome looks a little misshapen (kind of like the elephant man's head), but I hope to make some cosmetic improvements with the final stucco application,

Comment

Hi MikEl,

You would 1st attach the metal lathe to shape your oven then apply the stucco.

Thanks,
          Heidi
          FB

Comment

Thanks, Heidi, I kind of figured it out. I hoped there was something a little more flexible, but in the end made the lathe work.

Comment

Working...
            X