slilica in brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slilica in brick

The local masonary store has the fire brick that measures 9 x 2 1/4 x 4.
    The yard guy told me to handle it with gloves due to the content of the brick causing a health problem. Also, to wear a mask cutting it ( not a problem with a wet saw).
    Is this something I want to cook my food on and eat?
    Has anyone heard of any health concerns from firebrick?
    Gino

Re: slilica in brick

Virtually every oven built according to the FB plans utilizes firebricks for the floor. A quick review of the photo gallery shows countless numbers of pizzas cooking directly on the firebricks.

I have not heard of any health hazards from cooking on firebrick, and would you honestly believe every one of these builders would ignore a health warning if there was one?

Breathing the dust from dry cutting firebricks is an entirely different matter and a definite health risk.

Comment

Originally posted by gtofani View Post
      Also, to wear a mask cutting it ( not a problem with a wet saw).
      Not true, wet or dry you can still get silicosis from the dust, a good friend of mine now has it from wet cutting bricks for a living.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The local masonary store has the fire brick that measures 9 x 2 1/4 x 4.
        The yard guy told me to handle it with gloves due to the content of the brick causing a health problem. Also, to wear a mask cutting it ( not a problem with a wet saw).
        Is this something I want to cook my food on and eat?
        Has anyone heard of any health concerns from firebrick?
        Well any kind of dust you want to stay away from. The brick is safe for food. I don't know of anything in them that is harmful to your health. As far as gloves as with any concrete it is abrasive and can burn after awhile and cut you. Silica is a form of sand. They can make glass out of it. Hope it helps

Comment

Since I am not making a living at it, I am not worried too much about it.
          Those at the masonary store work with the stuff every day which may be the reason for his warning.
          I am going ahead with the oven and can't wait to eat a wood fired stove pizza.
          Gino

Comment

Since I am not making a living at it, I am not worried too much about it.
            Its much like asbestos, which particle did the damage, the first or last you breathed?
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It is the crystalline silica which develops when the silica is fired which is the problem, however it is dangerousnonly when inhaled not when ingested.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Always remember this any thing is dangerous, no matter how safe it has been proved to be! For example pure water can kill you depending on how much you breath.

Comment

I've been in the tile & stone industry for decades. I first learned about this in the early 90's and have spread the warning every chance I've had.

Silicosis of the lung is similar to 'black lung' that coal miners suffered from. In this case particles of silica enter the lungs, stick to the lining, and then scar tissue forms around them. This slowly depletes the lungs ability to absorb O2. Over time; sometimes 15-20 years your lung capacity is drastically reduced and the scar tissue is prone to cancer. I'm not a Dr. but I've attended many seminars given by one.

Silicosis can come from ANY airborne particulate containing silica. Dust from brick, block, stone/granite slabs, manufactured stone, tile, mortar, cement, and a few other similarly based items will expose you to dangerous levels if the proper PPE are not used. This is a real hazard and should be taken seriously. It's called the slow-silent killer. It's not a chemical reaction, infection, and cannot be absorbed by contact or ingestion; it's an airborne particle that simply plugs the cells that allow you to breathe.

Hopefully this has you as freaked out as I was when first learned but it's no different than working with other dangerous item like electricity for instance. Take the steps to make sure you don't touch live wires and you're perfectly safe. Don't take the necessary precautions like turning the breakers off? Now you have a very serious hazard.

Be safe fellow WFO builders!
                  Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Working...
                  X