Finally a design idea...but it will probably double my cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a design idea...but it will probably double my cost

So one of the biggest problems I have had thus far in my whole plan is where exactly to put the WFO. I don't want it to block the view of our backyard from the house so we can't see our kids playing and I also don't want it too far away from the house to make it hard to get out there (we can get a few feet of snow easy during the winter). Add to that the fact that I have mature trees all over my backyard and you can hopefully see my dilemna. Well Saturday afternoon I am doing yard work and the idea hits me as if the heavens parted and I saw the light. It seriously totally came to me and I LOVE the idea even more now. The only problem is...it will probably DOUBLE OR TRIPLE MY COSTS. Does anybody have this problem? I thought I was supposed to plan it out so that it would cost less but not anymore. The good thing is I don't have to FINISH the entire plan for the oven to be functional and in a good location. So I am glad I have the design down and now I wish I was one of you engineer guys/gals who can just whip something up on the computer to show everybody how it looks.

Anyone else been in this same boat?

Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Re: Finally a design idea...but it will probably double my cost

So.............What is this epiphany?
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Draw it on paper and gis a look..
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey guys, I am working on it. I will try to get something up soon. Sorry to keep you hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Pompei Nate View Post
          The only problem is...it will probably DOUBLE OR TRIPLE MY COSTS. Does anybody have this problem?
          Yep. First you build YOUR oven, then SHE wants the patio extended, then she wants an arbor, then the 18' of counter top with bar-style seating. Might as well throw in lights and ceiling fans on the arbor...

Our oven was the cheapest part of our project
          ...and it all was worth every penny!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

So I finally sat down and drew out the plans I had in mind. I need to say up front that I am no artist or drafter so these drawings are not great but they should give you the idea of what I am thinking.

I currently have a 12'x12' shed in my backyard and the vision I have for my oven is to pour an additional 10'x12' slab adjacent to the existing slab and make that my oven foundation. Eventually I would like to add the roof and covering to keep me out of the elements that are always an issue in my neck of the woods but that will come later on when I can afford it. And just so you know to the rear left and right of the oven I drew out a counter space so that I have places to put stuff and have possible work space.

I would welcome any questions, suggestions or critiques of my idea since I am not an expert in any field related to undertaking such a project as this.

Thanks for taking a look and offering whatever you can.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
              Yep. First you build YOUR oven, then SHE wants the patio extended, then she wants an arbor, then the 18' of counter top with bar-style seating. Might as well throw in lights and ceiling fans on the arbor...
              And then comes the inevitable question from the social director.... Why does it seem like WE are always working on the house and nothing ever seems to be done around here?

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Nate,

I think your plan is fine. That will be a really nice set up.

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                Why does it seem like WE are always working on the house and nothing ever seems to be done around here?
                Yep!
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hey Ken, thanks for the feedback.

And Chip, I know what you mean.

Nate

Comment

We did essentially what you are proposing

The size of our oven project ballooned out of control like a govt entitlement program

In the end, we just added a humble portico ( with a hard top) on the end of the house with the oven close to what was once the outside wall of the house (the block wall enclosure for the oven is 15 inches out from the brick on the house).

I would have made the patio portion larger, but what you see below is a real compromise between 'her' vision and 'my' vision. No regrets. For us, it works well enough.

We enjoy the area off the portico when people come to try the pizza (third picture), so, for us, we get along fine without an entire outside kitchen. The more planning you do, the fewer surprises along the way.
                    Last edited by Lburou; 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hey Lee,

You are correct about my project ballooning like a government program. But the difference is I will wait till I have the money to pay for it instead of just printing up a bunch.

I really like your portico there. It looks awesome! The way I see it, if I really want to be able to use the oven year round I need to have some sort of covering to keep me out of the elements. We get lots of snow during the winter time along with strong winds. I figure that with my design I can put up some simple canvas walls on the south side and hope that keeps the snow and wind at bay. We will see. Like I said above it will only happen when I have the money to pay for it and right now that is not the case. So maybe this winter will be spent planning more and more and purchasing materials little by little.

thanks for the pictures of your oven. It looks great.

Nate

Comment

Nate, I see a few potential problems with your plan. First, placing it against the entire wall of your shop forever limits you linking the patio and shop by a doorway. Having a place in the shop to store wood and oven accessories would be a plus I would think. Also, splitting the counter in two then recessing it back away from the oven's opening will create functionality issues. In designing kitchens, for example, designers look for a triangle between storage area, prep area and cooking area with as few steps as possible between the three areas. Lastly, in your neck of the woods, knowing the prevailing wind direction should influence the design. So as I see it, creating an L shaped plan would work the best and placing the back against the prevailing winds, kinda like this sketch. Just my 2 cents.

PS I grew up on a farm in SE Idaho in the middle of nowhere halfway between Blackfoot and American Falls.

Comment

clofgreen,

Thanks for your input. Halfway through drawing out the plans I posted previously I considered placing the oven in the corner the same way you drew it out so now you have me reconsidering once again. I definitely like the way it opens up the area in front of the oven so I will have to look into that some more.

You are right, halfway between Blackfoot and American Falls IS the middle of nowhere.

Thanks,
                          Nate

Comment

Working...
                          X