fire codes - info on oven design - less embers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire codes - info on oven design - less embers

I just submiited plans to town. I may be getting some flak because of fire codes. I want to put oven about 15 ft from my house and that may not be enough. Does anyone have info on the reduced amount of embers discharged since they are exhausted through small oven opening at bottom of stove ( vs. the top of firebox on ordinary fireplace). May need this info for variance. Any other relevant info on codes would be helpful. Thx

Re: fire codes - info on oven design - less embers

Uniform building code calls for a chimney to be two feet above any structure within ten feet. That said, you really can't argue with your building inspector: he'll make your life miserable. Perhaps a polite request for the citation to code would be in order.

And a variance? If you have clearance to lot line you should be able to build "as of right"
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The best thing to to is call and talk with your building official. They will be more then happy to let you know what you can do and can't do. You both will be better off to do this during the planning stage.

Comment

Originally posted by larrycooper View Post
        I just submiited plans to town. I may be getting some flak because of fire codes. I want to put oven about 15 ft from my house and that may not be enough. Does anyone have info on the reduced amount of embers discharged since they are exhausted through small oven opening at bottom of stove ( vs. the top of firebox on ordinary fireplace). May need this info for variance. Any other relevant info on codes would be helpful. Thx
        Fire codes are usually a combination of state and local ordinance, check the state ordinance and also check the local to see if they state anything about BBQ grills, you may find that they are less restrictive because they are a cooking appliance and not a fire pit, fire place, this is an oven not a fireplace.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

As Faith says, talk to your local building department. Explain exactly what you want to do.

In addition, try to document what they say (even if it is only a memo to yourself with date and the name of the person you met with).

Comment

Chief Building Inspector: Craig Hynes
            Phone: (610) 865-7091
            Fax: (610) 865-7330
            E-mail: chynes@bethlehem-pa.gov

Hope this helps Faith

Got looking at your town. I think you will need a permit to take a breath an another to exhale.
            Land of the free!
            Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X