Can I make money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I make money?

The first oven I sold was to a mate I had given a trailer to because the top had rusted out. He got a job playing Rugby in Ireland, had to leave the country quickly, so because he owed me money he brought the trailer back with a ute body welded on to the chassis. This is what I now use for my mobile, so in effect it didn't cost me anything, it's terrific.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

With me shoveling them in and out, maintaining fire on the side,dressing and cutting and an assistant prepping we can do 90sec to two min. pizzas pretty continuously. I like to do around 30 that's comfortable for an evening.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My BP had 60 for a market, to up to 100 for a private event. 60ea 12" pies x $10.00= $600.00 - 180.00(food cost) - 50.00(assistant) = $370/4(hours) = $92.50 per hour. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          My BP had 60 for a market, to up to 100 for a private event. 60ea 12" pies x $10.00= $600.00 - 180.00(food cost) - 50.00(assistant) = $370/4(hours) = $92.50 per hour. Not bad.
          Less site fees, some shows want $300 here for a weekend show.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It was free or less than 30 bucks for the ones I checked (farmer's markets). That also why only 4 hours. For a fair or something that lasted multiple days, you will need a commissary unless it is very close to your house (and that is not really legal here, you have to use a commissary).

Comment

you will need a commissary unless it is very close to your house (and that is not really legal here, you have to use a commissary).
              I have no idea what that is sorry.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Food vendors are not allowed to prepare food in their home, they have to do it in a certified commissary, which is a commercial kitchen. They have low cost ones that work as a co-op around here.

The reason I decided against it was all the rules and crap. I want to cook pizzas, not run another business.

Comment

They have low cost ones that work as a co-op around here.
                  Like you say, its all crap.
                  You could still pass on some nasty bug from a co-op probably even more so.

You have to do a food handling course here, again its all arse covering crap.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Forgive me if I am nosing in where I shouldn't. Peter Reinhart did a segment on his pizza quest website about a kind of convention for wood fired oven entrepreneurs. Of course it was sponsored by FornoBravo to sell their trailer mounted ovens. There were several people who were doing exactly what you are proposing. They had a nice setup with a custom made trailer that included all the necessaries for production. Of course these folks were from all over the states. It might be different down under. I guess the main things are Location Location Location. If you can make a pizza people will pay money for then you can make money. From what I have seen of your posts, I would buy pizza from you.

Comment

I have also thought of just making and selling the trailers.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        It costs about $70 and you can do it online.

I hope you have public liability in case someone gets sick?
                        Al, google search HOT TRUCKS, a mobile WFO a customer of mine has set up. His wife drives the truck, cooks etc, and they have some young ladies do the serving etc.
                        They do corporate days, markets, weddings/parties, most any type of jobs.
                        Says it does pretty well, have plenty of bookings. Something that may go well in the area you live in. You could sell pizzas at the local footy?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
                          You could sell pizzas at the local footy?
                          Like Mernda for example?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Like Mernda for example?
                            More money at MERNDA than the tightwads at shittlesea......

Comment

....snip....
                              Any ideas on a theme for the oven to make it quirky?
                              Have you seen any of those old trucks with the oven on back? An old fire truck? I don't know anybody who can think out of the box more than you Al
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                                Have you seen any of those old trucks with the oven on back? An old fire truck? I don't know anybody who can think out of the box more than you Al
                                Ive had a couple of ideas, make the oven look like the rear end of a rocket or jet plane engine, or, the firebox of a steam train.
                                Another one was a haunted gothic house.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X