Can I make money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I make money?

I need any tips I can get on whether or not it would be profitable to make a portable oven and start doing the rounds to markets and shows etc, Ive been thinking of this for some time.
    I saw a guy in Hobart Tass selling per slice for $7, so there must be money in it?

I am thinking of small 9" "with the lot" individual pizzas so there wouldnt be the usual stupid requests for toppings that people would ask for.

Im thinking a tandem wheeled trailer with a generator, fridge, sink etc and a portable gazebo cover.

The oven itself would be a low domed cast with fire brick floor.
    It would also give me an outlet to advertise the fact that I actually build ovens too.

Any ideas on a theme for the oven to make it quirky?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Can I make money?

Why screw up a perfectly good hobby by making it into work?

I am sure you could make money doing it though, and as you said, it could lead to building more ovens.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      Why screw up a perfectly good hobby by making it into work?
      Hmmm, never thought of that, I did something similar years ago with a hobby and sometimes regret it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That is what I tell people when they ask me why I don't do it.

Comment

I also need another career as Im getting close to my use by date for production bricklaying.

Plus Im sick of getting screwed by every builder I work for, it seems to be an epidemic over here.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have looked at quite a few mobile units, but most do not seem to be very well thought out. If I were to build one, it would face the rear of the trailer and have wings that swung out for work areas on each side. It would also have a hard top roof that served as a trailer cover, then rotated back and up to cover the working area. I would also buy a refrigerated prep station, an electric proofing box, and and hot lamp.

Comment

and hot lamp.
              Whats the hot lamp for?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I used to have mine facing the rear, but changed it to face the side. In my case it works better that way because I can use the tailgate as a prep or cutting area with a piece of SS sheet which sits on it. I hire mine out quite a lot besides doing parties. It is fun and promotes what I do. Pizzas with everything on top is moving away from traditional Italian pizza, I prefer to keep the toppings sparse, only 3 toppings apart from cheese and sauce. My preferred menu is to offer 4 gourmet pizzas, that way you don't get too confused. I usually do
                Margheritas, (Feta, basil,Roma's)
                Proscuitto, Romas, olives,
                Garlic prawns, feta and red onion, lime juice
                Vegetarian,capsicum,onion,mushrooms and capers
                All dressed with rocket,sea salt
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have looked at quite a few mobile units, but most do not seem to be very well thought out. If I were to build one, it would face the rear of the trailer and have wings that swung out for work areas on each side. It would also have a hard top roof that served as a trailer cover, then rotated back and up to cover the working area. I would also buy a refrigerated prep station, an electric proofing box, and and hot lamp.
                  I don't have any of that fancy stuff. Don't forget that you have to pay for all that stuff and work to make it back. I still use ice for cold stuff and an LED light running off a Pb acid batt.If you do it properly it costs lots, you have to have food handlers certificate etc. etc. etc. I don't sell food at markets for that reason, but I do set up and cook food for myself as a demo then tell people they can steal a piece if I turn my back.Because my oven is small I roll the oven on and off the trailer so I can use it for other stuff.

Comment

If I were doing it for a business, I would have all that stuff to make it easier, safer, and faster, plus around here you would be required to have it to sell food. The heat lamp is for the sampling pizza you would always have under it.

I had it figured at under $5000.00 out the door and ready to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      you have to have food handlers certificate
                      It costs about $70 and you can do it online.

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      I don't sell food at markets for that reason, but I do set up and cook food for myself as a demo then tell people they can steal a piece if I turn my back.
                      I hope you have public liability in case someone gets sick?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I had it figured at under $5000.00 out the door and ready to serve.
                        I was thinking around the same price too.
                        I thought about giving samples to lure them in too, so the heat lamp makes sense.

We have quite a few markets and shows around Melbourne that we always attend and Im amazed that no one does pizza, just the usual crappy deep fried food that tastes awful.

I just have to convince my princess that its viable.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah, got that $200/ yr It wasn't easy either, insurance Cos. didn't seem to like the word "fire". Give it a shot, but don't invest too much in it to start, it is easier to put back into it as you go rather than have to pay yourself back a large sum.

Comment

My pizzas go as soon as they come out of the oven. I don't like the idea of keeping pizzas hot, they're best eaten straight out of the oven (don't we all know it?)

Comment

How many would you make in a day?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X