Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney area = ???% times oven chamber area

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been posted but i couldnt bring up direct hits.

What chimney area % compared to oven chamber entry is everyone having success with?. Also is width (and/or depth) of the chimney a decisive factor?

Can you use normal bricks for a chimney or are firebricks or flue mandatory?

Thankssssssssssssssssss~~~~~

Gummz
    Last edited by gummz; 11-29-2011, 01:24 AM. Reason: flue

Re: chimney area = ???% times oven chamber area

To be honest im not sure most poeple calculate to a specific %. But moreso based on the oven size.. Most guys with a 42inch oven aim for an 8inch flue whilst the 32inch normally a 6inch flue.

I basically worked backwards, I have a 36inch oven with an 8inch flue and had a spigot made up.. then buld up my arch like an upside down funnel for the best draw possible.

Loook at build threads like Ken or Karangidude for some examples..

You can use most materials for a flue, I opted for stainless steel because i love the look. You can use normal bricks and get away with it.. hell my whole oven is normal bricks..

Goodluck!

If you get desperate, take a look at mine http://hiddingpizzaoven.blogspot.com/
    Havent updated in months :P but shows my front arch and how i mounted the chimney! (shoulda had more pics but was too busy).
    Last edited by chidding; 11-29-2011, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gummz View Post
      What chimney area % compared to oven chamber entry is everyone having success with?. Also is width (and/or depth) of the chimney a decisive factor?
      Aim for a flue that is more than 10% of the opening size.
      Chamber size wouldnt come into it, its the oven opening size that counts.

Originally posted by gummz View Post
      Can you use normal bricks for a chimney or are firebricks or flue mandatory?
      Normal bricks are fine.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This topic was discussed on a recent thread (do a search) and the consensus was that 10% was way too small for a WFO. It needs to be more like 20% IMO
        The 10% rule relates to fireplaces which have a much larger opening.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X