Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are all here because we love good cooking and fine food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are all here because we love good cooking and fine food.

We are all here because we love good cooking and fine food.

Question is, does anyone make their own cheese?
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-13-2011, 12:02 AM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: We are all here because we love good cooking and fine food.

Next thing on my personal to-do list. I understand that it's not that difficult. All I need is some time. Sad thing is I won't be home with my oven this year for the holidays. So life it's self is put on hold for now. Think I'll put that on the top of my list for when I get home...make cheese!!! My new light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks Al

Comment

Last year at the FB open house they made mozzarella - looked pretty easy. I have a friend in Reno that bought a few goats. She is in to making all kinds - I haven't tried any yet
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Ive made Fetta, bring milk to the boil and add white vinegar.

Its rather bland though, I like cheese with a bite.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You need a lot of milk to make a small amount of cheese, then a lot of time for it to mature. Not worth the effort unless you have access to cheap or free milk. Do you have a cow?
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            Do you have a cow?
            Not yet.
            Ive got every conceivable tool but a cow.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Years ago I had two goats that I milked each morning, they provided enough milk for the household. Goats milk has the advantage of being already homogenised and being quite strong (it is normal to add 50% water). But I really wanted a Jersey cow, just couldn't afford one. They are really placid, quite small and the ideal house cow for a family.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Years ago I had two goats that I milked each morning, they provided enough milk for the household. Goats milk has the advantage of being already homogenised and being quite strong (it is normal to add 50% water). But I really wanted a Jersey cow, just couldn't afford one. They are really placid, quite small and the ideal house cow for a family.
                That reminds me of something. We were raised on goat's milk. While visiting my grandparents on the farm in Nebraska, I tasted cow's milk for the first time. It tasted awful to me. It took some time after butchering the goats before I could drink cow's milk. Goats milk is pretty strong all right. David, thanks for reminding me of that factoid from my childhood.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I've been feeling a little sad after thinking about my goats. It was 30years ago and I was doing my "back to the land thing". I thought it would be a good idea as well as milking the goats, to raise a few for meat. I borrowed a neighbours Billy goat for a visit and one of my goats duly ended up with twins. They were absolutely gorgeous, but I steeled myself and before they were weaned I shot them both in the head and butchered them. They probably were nice to eat, but we all felt so bad, I could never do it again. It was a life changing moment. I went vegetarian for 6 months soon after.

Comment

David,
                    It is understandable that one could become emotionally attached to one's goat(s). In addition to their milk, they can also provide warmth, companionship and riding partners

Comment

And some rednecks have been known to use them as bed partners.

Comment

LOL
                        Pick on the rednecks

Comment

By the true definition I am a redneck because I drive a pick up truck....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                          X