Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Base (getting started)

Hi there,
    I am planning on building a brick pizza oven in the spring. I have recieved alot of great advice concerning the different brick options, so i can order materials accordingly.
    Im assuming the first step is the base pad. What is the recomended depth for a base pad? and is it usually the exact width of the coming structure? id like to get an idea so i can decide what kind of texture/colour i can finish it with.
    thanks.
    Paul

Re: Concrete Base (getting started)

My base pad is 8" thick but that's probably overkill...
    And it is 2" wider all around than the block structure so I can apply a stone finish later.
    Best of luck...

Comment

If you are talking about the footing or the portion of the base which contacts the soil, all it costs you is a bit of concrete to make it larger than the base structure and the extra size gives you more flexibility later.

Look at the oven cross-sections and note there can be insulation, airspace, enclosure wall and covering for that wall, all outside of the actual oven footprint.

Comment

Great, thanks.
        I usually use a base of recycled concrete, or granular A before I pour concrete, nut I have not seen anyone do this so far in any pics/vids. I guess the 8 inches oof concrete makes up for that.
        That's a great idea about the stone finish, I was wondering so I could colour and stamp it myself before hand, but the stamp finish leaves un-even surfaces and probably isn't ideal for the block wall.

Also, one last question. I'm a newbie, so forgive the basicness of it...
        I noticed in a lot of designs an opening on the floor as well as the mouth of the oven. I've also notices a lot of designs have the wood burning in the same part as where the food cooks. What's the bottom opening for?
        Thanks,
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Pennacootz View Post
          Great, thanks.
          I usually use a base of recycled concrete, or granular A before I pour concrete, nut I have not seen anyone do this so far in any pics/vids. I guess the 8 inches oof concrete makes up for that.
          That's a great idea about the stone finish, I was wondering so I could colour and stamp it myself before hand, but the stamp finish leaves un-even surfaces and probably isn't ideal for the block wall.

Also, one last question. I'm a newbie, so forgive the basicness of it...
          I noticed in a lot of designs an opening on the floor as well as the mouth of the oven. I've also notices a lot of designs have the wood burning in the same part as where the food cooks. What's the bottom opening for?
          Thanks,
          Paul
          Bottom opening is for storing wood etc. Fire burns in the same part as the food cooks. I suggest that you read the ebook carefully , saves you from a lot of grief afterwards.

Comment

Working...
          X