what if... Thin brick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if... Thin brick?

I don`t know if this out of the box thinking is a heresy, but looking at the pictures of the Pompeii ruins ovens I can see that all of them are usually formed of thin bricks. Initially I supposed that they had no choice as maybe they had only one type of brick. But looking carefully you can appreciate in the same bild, outside walls formed of thick bricks and thinner ones.
    Beeing everybody so worried about the excess of mortar in the joints, why not do as the ancient romans did and use thinner bricks for build the espherical dome.
    It has several advantages, a quick sketch in cad shows that in a 100 cm (40") dome, the gaps betwen rings are:
    60 mm (2,4") brick cut in half -> external gap= 13,2 mm (0,52")
    30 mm (1,2") brick cut in half -> external gap= 6,6 mm (0,26")
    25 mm (1") brick cut in half -> external gap= 5,5 mm (0,21") gap.
    This affects also the gaps between neigbour pieces in the same ring as the vertical gaps will be reduced to half. Not to mention that the curve is smoother as the steps are reduced.
    Together with this it's possible to cut them with inexpensive wet tile cutter (i've found chinesse one for less tha 30 EUR) capable to cut 35 mm depth.
    The only lack of this is that more rings have to be placed and a small increase in the final price as for the same coverd surface the thinner brics are proportionally a little bit more expensive.
    Why are not more used the thinner bricks for bulid ovens? Am I forgetting anything?

Regards

Re: what if... Thin brick?

Normal thickness's of firebrick are 2-1/4" or 1-5/8. They generally cost the same, so basically you would be doubling your expense for firebrick. If that is not an issue, why not? They use the splits to build herringbone fireplaces as a rule.

Comment

Re: what if... Thin brick?

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      Normal thickness's of firebrick are 2-1/4" or 1-5/8. They generally cost the same, so basically you would be doubling your expense for firebrick. If that is not an issue, why not? They use the splits to build herringbone fireplaces as a rule.
      To add to this - you are placing a LOT more brick. If you are anal like me - you would be cutting brick forever. Performance wise, I don't see it as being a plus or minus.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
      X