Dome height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome height

Hello all .. I am coming out of the shadows .. No more lurking for me..
    I have a question.. Does a 20" dome height and a 12" door sound ok..? it will be a 36 " oven.

Thanks ..

Trellis
    Last edited by Coloradoredusa; 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM.
    “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Welcome

That is about right Trellis....A 12.5 inch door height would be very close to the target 63% of dome height.

A dome height of 20 inches is a bit high for a 36 inch oven, most shoot for a 15-18 inch dome height. However, I wanted a larger doorway for big birds and small feral hogs, so I made mine two inches taller than normal too (keeping the 63% of dome height). I'm happy with it. Does that make sense to you?
    Last edited by Lburou; 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Dome height

It does make sense.. 18 " it is..!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
        It does make sense.. 18 " it is..!
        Sounds good! Shoot for a door height that is 63% your dome height (a little less than 11 3/8 inches).

Have you downloaded the pompeii oven plans and read them yet? If no, go to the blue link in my signature and find the link to download it for free.
        Last edited by Lburou; 04-16-2012, 07:38 PM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I have them.. read through once already..Forms on Backerboard is in, FB board and ceramic blanket on its way!.. rebar tied and in,structural concrete being poured this Sunday!

Thanks!
          Trellis

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Good Luck Trellis! Hopefully the snow is over now! I put have a 20 inch high 38 inch oven. My door is 11.5" H by 19" wide. Works great for me! Where in Colorado are you?

I am down in Littleton...sort of.
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I am in Colorado Springs.

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Taperforce lives just East of Monument....he has some materials for sale and a built oven. You might contact him.

I retired from the Air Force Academy Hospital in 1997 and moved to DFW four years ago. Colorado is a great place to spend the summer.
                Last edited by Lburou; 04-17-2012, 07:42 AM.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Who is taperforce?

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
                    Who is taperforce?
                    He is a member here on fornobravo. His profile is here. Go to his contact information and send him an

e-mail or Private Message.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

In my opinion there really isn't one right answer here, everyone uses their oven a bit different and this is a case where form should match function. As everyone active in this thread probably knows dome height effects door height directly. If you plan to use your oven to cook something large, you need to worry about door height first then bring the dome height into ratio. Others, like myself, are only worried about pizza and will make sacrifices in other area for the pizza cooking performance they want. If this is you I strongly believe you should start with dome height and match it to the style of pizza you plan to cook most, or are most concerned about producing. Dome height will effect the maximum hearth temperature where your oven will cook the top and bottom of the pizza evenly. A lower dome oven will produce even bakes at a higher temperature then a higher domed one. That doesn't mean you can't cook faster baked higher temperature pizzas in a higher domed oven, it just means it will be harder, and you will have to give the pie more attention and manipulation. I'd personally rather build the oven I want in the first place.

Comment

For a primarily pizza oven, I suggest the following ratios:

Dome Height = 90 to 95% of oven radius (elliptical)

Door height = 63% of dome height

Door width is not critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
                          For a primarily pizza oven, I suggest the following ratios:

Dome Height = 90 to 95% of oven radius (elliptical)

Door height = 63% of dome height

Door width is not critical.
                          Neil,

Do you think the oven you describe could produce this bake? :

Pizzeria Da Michele in Napoli - forzapizza.com - YouTube

Not being confrontational at all, just looking for other experiences. I'd assume that is a 120cm oven as is most common in Naples, so 90% of the radius would be 21.25" for reference.

Comment

Yes. 120 cm = 47.24 inches = 23.62 radius. * 90% = 21.25 inch dome height.

21.25 *63% = 13.39 inches for the door height.

The "low vault" ceiling is exactly what you want for Neapolitan pizza.
                            Last edited by Neil2; 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post

The "low vault" ceiling is exactly what you want for Neapolitan pizza.
                              I agree completely, but I personally would not consider 21.25" or 90% of the radius to be a low vault. The oven in that video has a standard cast iron door that all the ovens in Naples use, 22cm or 8.66 in. and probably has a dome under 14 inches.

Comment

Working...
                              X