New Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Progress

So This past weekend we poured the structural hearth. FB boards arrived as well as the Ceramic Blanket. Measured the interior oven space ,minus the width of the bricks on each side and have a 32" interior circumference..I hope I don't sound really silly now but I need someone to clarify how I will come to an 18"
    dome height when constructing the courses, is there a formula to use?
    I am attatching some build pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	318263

Name:	Hearth.JPG
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	318264

Name:	Screeting.JPG
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	318265

Thanks,
    Trellis
    “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Re: New Progress

Nice progress on the hearth. I am sure you will get loads of opinions on the height issue.

Assuming you mean the interior height, then I think 18" is pretty tall for a 32" diameter (16" radius) oven (also assuming circumference was a typo ). I have a 39" diameter build and it's going to be 18" tall at the center. Lower is better for pizza cooking - as it reflects more heat back.

If you really want an 18" high oven, then I suggest you start with a 4.5 inch high soldier course, which will give you a vertical wall at 2" above your floor. Then mount your IT on a 2" high block in the center and using that you'll still get a 16" radius on your dome with an 18" tall center

If you want to build a 16" high center, then the you can get a pretty good hemisphere by using a center mounted IT with a 16 inch length. Your oven may be a smidge taller to account for the height of the plywood under your IT.

Also - you can use sketchup to make a profile view of your dome and you can figure out how many chains you'll need to get to the top.

Oh, and going foreward you might want to think about consolidating all your updates to a single thread. That way people can keep track of where you are.

Dennis
    Last edited by deejayoh; 04-24-2012, 07:44 PM.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

ok.. I am still new to the posting thing.. thanks..

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

What is the board in the center for?

Comment

Its not in the center .. its an ash drop....my oven is smaller than others..it will be mre at the front of the oven

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X