Portuguese ovens??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese ovens??

I found a Portuguese oven pretty cheap I think ($500) but it has no chimney. Are these good ovens? I will be insulating it and want to add chimney. Question is how does the price. Compare to a DIY for a newbie and heard they maybe clay bricks. opinions please!

Re: Portuguese ovens??

Here is a pic of the oven, the guy has it here in town so no shipping cost. I havent gone to look at it yet...[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

From my limited understanding here, Portuguese ovens have very high domes, higher than tuscan domes even. As such they are not ideal for pizza making but they will do it, it just will take more work to get them to cook properly. They also tend to be thinner than the pizza ovens you see here and don't retain their heat as long before needing recharged.

From a purely objective standpoint, if I saw an oven like that already on wheels and ready to go for $500, I'd probably bite and find a way to add a chimmey and arch to the front, but thats just me. Many people here who have already built their own ovens and have tackled the numerous unknowns plaguing a newcomer's mind may have a different opinion.

Comment

yes the price does have me!! but as far as insulation- I dont like the dome look and I have a whole pallet of free bricks so I want to build something like this around the oven and fill it with insulation.

Comment

hi bosscrab i was looking at one of them oven, in a garden center it was very badly made and the chimney was on top.. . if you blocked the chimney off . or maybe lowered it to 63% of height on inside it would get up to temp .. but it would only last about 3 to 5 years because of the brick it built with . its only paver or as we call them in the emerald isle cobble lock... .. the last picture you put up looks like a good idea . if you decide to do it use a very weak morter mix, maybe 6to 1 .. this way it will be a little easier to take down and rebuild .., cheers..

happy cooking jon

Comment

Thanks guys. That doesn't sound like a deal if I can only expect 5 years out of it. I'm definitely not interested in tearing it apart!! This one has no chimney so I would have to add one. Anyone else have any experience or input on these ovens?

Comment

Working...
            X