My 42inch oven build in New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 42inch oven build in New York

Ok after lurking around the site for over a year, I have finally begun. Last week I laid out the forms, put in a 3 inch gravel base covered with 6mil plastic. Looking at my form it sort of looks like a B2 Stealth Bomber, however it is just my layout for an outdoor kitchen and of course my very own WFO.
    As promised, I got up early this father's day and laid out my 6" foundation, not as bad as a I thought but it definately took longer than I anticipated. Well, several hours later and a few downed beers it is done. Got the plastic down and letting the slab cure. I think this is my best father's day gift ever!!!

Cheers,
    Joe

Re: My 42inch oven build in New York

Stealth it out with a black/gray slate outer veneer.

Comment

It's Looking good. I am glad I am past that part. I went through 38 bags of 80lb concrete and it was not too fun as I remember. Seems like you enjoyed it. Keep up that enthusiasm.
      Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Ultraphage - I was certainly thinking stone veener....maybe I will stealth it out...

flyfisherx - I went through 34 bags of 80lbs mix. I used the new maximizer concrete that yields a full cubic yard of cemet as opposed to regular 80lbs back of high strength saving from mizing and pouring an additonal 25 bags. My pour was just short of a yard and half. As my dad always said better to laugh than cry.....I am really aching to construct the stand next weekend.

Joe

Comment

Your set-up looks good. I am on L.I. too, but was able to haul premix to my home. Check it out as it will save some labor. (There were a few muscle tweaks lifting the mix into a high form). Most places will provide a range of mixes to match the needed strength.

Don

Comment

Don,

Thanks fo the replay. Two factors had me not choice using a premix, one was the accessibilty into my yard), two is that I own my own cement mixer. So for the slab i mixed my own and will do so for the hearth.

I can't help myself, I seem to be collecting tools everytime a start a project, they are like toys for grown ups.

If i could ask, where did you get your supplies from. I have found a building supply yard in glen head that seels firebricks and firestop 50, but don't know where to get the ceremaic blanket and the insulating board to place under the cooking floor.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Comment

I picked up bricks and Heat stop in Glen Cove. I plan to switch to the homebrew mortar recipe as my fireclay stock increases due to cutting.

I found some Northeast sources for blanket and board, but the FB board and blanket prices were better. They arrived fast and shipping was not bad either.

Comment

As far as FB Board and Blanket. I searched endlessly and could not find a better price than Forno Bravo with shipping. When I thought I had found a supplier with less material costs, the shipping then put me above Forno Bravo.

I also found Cal Sil suppliers that would only sell me a case. Per board price was fantastic but the case price put me way over the top.

I am in Connecticut and to ship 3 rolls of blanket and 3 boards the total shipping was only $68.00

Good luck in your search.
                Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

thanks to both of you for the input on supplies

Comment

Joe,

I have that disease too, new projects means new tools........... When we going to see some progress pics
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have been out of town all week My flight home today was cancelled and now I wont be home until tomorrow so that now kills my saturday and cant work on the oven.

It is driving me nuts i cant get my stand and and hearth finished. Speaking of, what is the height of your hearth and cooking floor off the ground. I am aiming at a cooking floor height of 50 inches.

Comment

Where did you get your supplies from? I live in westchester and am pouring a slab today.

Comment

Firebrick, fireclay and mortar from local Stone yards,
                          Insulation blankets from Atalntech in Edison NJ
                          Atlantech Distribution, Inc. : Product Filter the following places mineral boards for underneath the oven I purchased on ebay, the seller was grillsnovens, they also carry the insulation blankets.
                          Vermiculite I purchased from Home Depot online, they dont usually carry it in store, at least not by me, i did see they do carry it in limited quantities in westchester or yonkers.

Good Luck

Comment

thanks! I'll check those out!

Comment

Working...
                            X