Expansion gap question on dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion gap question on dome

I'm about to start building my dome on a 42" Pompei. I intend building the dome outside the cooking floor. Should there be an expansion gap between the floor and dome wall and should the first chain be mortared to the concrete support base? Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Expansion gap question on dome

I did not mortar my dome to the hearth. The gap will allow for expansion and will fill in eith ash.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur View Post
      ............. should the first chain be mortared to the concrete support base? ..........
      Will you have insulation under your floor and under your dome wall? If not stop and let's talk before you go any further .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Arthur,

Here's a pic of what I think Gulf is talking about having insulation under dome and floor. I placed a thin layer of cardboard between floor and dome base for an expansion gap (should burn out then fill with ash). I did "not" mortar floor or dome base to CaSi board. Hope this helps.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The insulation must also go under the dome walls of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
            The insulation must also go under the dome walls of course.
            That's right Neil2,
            I hope the second part of Aurthur's question was a misprint. If not I hope he logs on before going forward .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Arthur

That is fine as was mentioned earlier the ash will fill those gaps. Happy cooking!

Comment

Thanks for your reply and welcomed advice. I will place 50mm Calsil board between concrete base and cooking floor. The oven dome wall will also be sitting on the Calsil board, cardboard between edge of cooking floor and first chain of dome. This seems like a good idea to allow for thermal expansion. Should the first chain be mortared to the Calsil board? I'm very impressed with your build, massive! I hope to finish my dome with extra layer of brick over insulating wool, may be a light coat of mortar to stop outer bricks compressing the blanket and of course some chicken wire under. I am keeping photos and will post when more advanced.
                Arthur (Art)

Comment

Hi Art,

No, don't try to mortar anything to the CalSil. The oven floor and dome sit right on the board using only their mass to keep them in place. You can use a little sand or fireclay under the floor to level the floor bricks but that's it.

I used the cardboard trick, worked great.

Good luck with your build. Keep us up-to-date on your progress!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

That's Great Arthur,
                    Glad to find out that you are on the right track. Please post some pics and give a good detailed description of what you are planning to do. I hope you have studied many of the builds on this forum. Keep the questions coming. But, if you want plenty of input, post pics! We likes eye candy .
                    PS. I'm not so sure about the "wool" and the "thin coat of mortar" for the brick, but I am sure there will be plenty of input on that subject. We can talk about that later .

Comment

"This seems like a good idea to allow for thermal expansion. "

I would not bother with this as a design detail. Even if you leave a gap, this will eventually fill up with ash, bits of burnt pizza, dirt from the firewood etc and cease functioning as an expansion gap.

Your oven will continue to slowly expand and in 12 or 15 years a brick will fall out.
                      Last edited by Neil2; 08-28-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Have added some eye candy! It is my first brick-laying effort!
                        Last edited by Arthur; 08-28-2012, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur View Post
                          Have added some eye candy! It is my first brick-laying effort!
                          Wow Arthur,
                          I did not think to look for your album. It's a little difficult for me believe that those are your first brick to lay.
                          Arthur's Straddie Build Album.
                          I hope you don't mind me adding this link to your album. This is something to see. An all brick stand. Impressive. I really like what you've done

Comment

More eye candy! Progress so far ........

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...die-build.html
                            Last edited by Arthur; 08-28-2012, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Gudday Arthur

Good looking stand for a mug brickie..... ash drop...you have been doing your homework. Theres plenty of good advice here for the asking from better than me but if I can help with local knowledge ask away.
                              please try to post some pics with your post,a pic worth a thousand words.

Regards Dave
                              Manly West
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X