Cure again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure again?

Okay, since i had no insulation whatsoever between my concrete slab and 2 1/2 inch firebrick baking surface, I put a layer of 1" fiberboard on top of the
    firebrick and added a new floor, 1 1/4" firebrick. I also closed up the opening to 15" wide by 9" high. My inside dome height is 14.75 so I now have my opening between 60-61% of my dome height. Unless I completely misunderstood how to calculate that.

My plans for the outside are to maybe take that Rockwool I ordered from Lowes and cover the dome and back with 2 layers (6 inches). I'll probably make an outside structure with metal studs and concrete board or hardibacker, then either stucco or brick. Might toss in some loose vermiculite for the hell of it. If that don't work then I give. I'll sledgehammer the whole thing down to the hearth and start over. Though I'm sure my husband will probably divorce me. He was happy with 10 minute pizzas and thinks it's just fine the way it is. Ha!

But I was wondering, since I mortared new brick to the opening, do I need to go through the 7 day curing again? I'll be gone over the weekend so my first fire wouldn't be until Sunday evening.

Re: Cure again?

I don't know that I would do 7 days worth of firing (I don't think I ever really did any fires specifically to cure it, but I began building fires as soon as I removed the vault form), but I would not go for, "Now THAT'S a Fire, Gus" either.

Comment

Okay. I'll go low and slow for a couple of days. In the mean time, I'm going to study some fire building techniques. From what I've seen thus far on various site, I totally suck at it.

Comment

Take 2 logs almost as long as the oven is deep, about 6" in diameter (I use crooked logs) as your andirons. Place them about 6" apart so the ends face you, about 3/4 of the way into the oven. Wad newspaper and fill even with the tops of the logs. Cover with twigs and small sticks (I police the yard for a small armful), running them across the andirons. Then make a layer of 2-3" logs, also across the andirons. Push all the way into the oven, light the paper with a match and walk away. Add more logs as needed.

Comment

I'll give it a try. I did notice when I'd put something under my logs, like a small sliver of 2x4 or something, they caught fire much better than if they were just sitting directly on the floor.

Thanks!

Comment

That is the purpose of the andiron logs, to keep air under the burning logs.

Comment

Will the rockwool work for insulating the outside?

Comment

As long as it is loose.

Comment

I'm building an enclosure so it should be loose. haven't settled on a roof yet. Was debating taking the metal hat channel, making small snips so I could curve it and create a rounded ceiling. Cover everything with hardibacker, then stucco the roof. Maybe brick the sides. I love the clay tiles on some ovens, but I can't get them around here (Indiana). I'd be good with shingles, but my husband isn't too hip on that. He likes copper but no way I'm spending that much money. We'll have to compromise I guess. Thought about taking the cobblestone that I have on the patio infront of my oven, and using that as roof "shingles". I guess mortaring that to flat backerboard would work. could use the 6 x 6 and put a flat piece on top as a cap. Would weigh a lot though. I'll figure something out.

Comment

Copper colored standing seam roofing, for the amount you need is cheap.

Comment

"Thought about taking the cobblestone that I have on the patio infront of my oven, and using that as roof "shingles"."

Difficult to get that to be water proof. Copper or sheet metal is a good solution. Avoid putting anything inflammable up there.

Comment

Working...
                      X