Update to my oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to my oven

Well I tried to fire my oven today. At first it started as an "let's see what happens". But as my fire got better and hotter, I decided to go for the gusto. At two hours into y fire, I realized that my floor was a lot hotter than it had gotten before, and I was starting to see a little bit of whiteon the ceiling. Wahoo! I ran in the house and whipped up some pizza dough. Spread the coals around to the sides and kept adding fire. Before long, my ceiling was completely white and my floor was around 750-800. When my dough was ready, I threw in a couple of pizzas and they cooked in like 2 minutes! I was so excited.

However, it's obvious I need help with my pizza peel skills. My first two pizzas went in fine. The last one, however, stuck to my peel despite the flour on my peel. I had pepperoni, banana peppers, black and green olives, and cheese. When I wasn't to slide my pizza in, my toppings went, but my pizza did not. That was a big mess. Ah well, I guess I need to get some semolina or, corn meal. Maybe that will help.

Seven hours later, my oven floor was still 261 degrees. I'm hoping when I get the outside insulated, I'll be able to do some bread. We'll see.

Shannon

Re: Update to my oven

Glad to see that you will have a workable oven. Now we need to work on your dough, because there ain't no way you will have good dough by whipping it up. You need 12 hours for a good dough, 24-48 for a great one.

Comment

Well, it took 2 hours. I let it rise once, the rise a second time. But I'd love to learn a new dough technique. That's the first one I tried. It's okay, not great.

Comment

"When I wasn't to slide my pizza in, my toppings went, but my pizza did not."

A little trick you might want to try. Move the pizza ahead on the peel so that an inch or so overhangs the end. When placing the pizza in the oven, this overhang "grabs" the floor and you just slide the peel back out. The peel should be well floured as well.

Comment

Working...
        X