attempt at fireplace/oven combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attempt at fireplace/oven combo

I am attempting to create a fireplace on bottom / WFO on top combo. I plan to bring the fireplace vents up throught the concrete pad on both sides of the oven landing and have them angle up and join the oven vent out the top of the house..any thoughts out there on this? As a fall back, I have run a gas line to my fireplace....if the venting plan does not draw well enough to pull the smoke out of the firebox I can just convert it to ventless gas logs. I'm interested to see what you guys think....I am sure one of you has tried it or thought about it.

Re: attempt at fireplace/oven combo

I'm no expert, but a double chimney recombining to a single may cause you some draw problems.

An option to consider is a single stand alone chimney for the fireplace in the back.

Comment

Code does not allow you to share a chimney for multiple devices for a reason. They can share the chase, just not the actual flue.

Comment

Originally posted by szv9n5 View Post
        I am attempting to create a fireplace on bottom / WFO on top combo.................. I'm interested to see what you guys think....I am sure one of you has tried it or thought about it.
        Yes, I remember someone building one simular to what you describe. I just don't remember very much feed back on how it performed.

I intertained this idea for a little while myself. I felt that it was a little to intimidating to attempt designing and building the two together. My thinking is that the WFO fits better into a work area. And, I see the fireplace in an adjoining but, separate lounging area.

Edit: I do plan to use my entry and flu as a fireplace (after the cook) until I can build a proper one .
        Last edited by Gulf; 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

My woodburner/Fireplace is directly beneath my cleanout for the WFO which aligns with my oven flue.......located between the oven door and the External door........

I know this would be way more simple if I could post pics, but I can't...right now.

The Fireplace flue aligns with the cleanout, which aligns with the WFO flue......that's as simple as I can make it......I'll try (again) to post pics......

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I did a little more research and confirmed your suspicions....I will have draw problems if I tie the fireplace due into the vent to the wfo. Would create a vacuum and pull cool air into the vent from the wfo (if not used at the same time). The folk air would weaken the draw. So I am going to have two flies run through the same chimney. I hope that will do the trick....it pays to ask you guys....I will keep you updated.

Comment

Working...
            X