Pompeii oven installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii oven installation

I am new to the site and have recently downloaded Pompeii oven plans. It is going to be a hybrid installation due to budget constraints. The base is complete and i have poured the perlite concrete which brings me to some questions. Can i use 1/4 inch hardibacker on top of the perlite concrete to set the firebrick on i already have two 3x5 sheets left over from another project? My second question is for a 36" interior diameter oven how much refractory mortar will i need approximately, i have to travel 100 miles to pick it up and don't want to have to make a second trip? Third i am using regular 4x4x9 old clay bricks for the walls, what should i use over these for insulation, fire clay, portland, perlite mixture?

Re: Pompeii oven installation

Originally posted by rmydler View Post
    Can i use 1/4 inch hardibacker on top of the perlite concrete to set the firebrick on
    Why?

what should i use over these for insulation, fire clay, portland, perlite mixture?
    Dont put clay in the mixture.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Please take your time and check out the site before you build. Hardibacker has no insulating property, so why use it? This is not going to be fast DYI project that goes seamlessly together. Remember the money you save by not using proper insulation, will be spent on fuel and time.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. The hardibacker idea came from a wood buring stove installation i did last year in my living room, i had two sheets left over and thought it would provide a perfectly even surface for laying the bricks. I am not a complete novice i have been researching wood ovens for a couple of years and i just simply can't afford a kit. I had really given up on the idea until i read an article about adobe ovens which all i had to purchase was sand and firebrick. I built the oven and was turning out in my opinion good homemade pizza then the weather damaged it and i am back to ground zero. I am not sure if this oven will be my final installation but i want something for this winter even if its just the brick exterior so that i can use it to some extent.
        Thanks again,
        Royce

Comment

I have the first row of bricks down, but this leads me to a question. What consistency is the best for the home brew mortar? i think i mixed it a little on the dry side.

Comment

I have the first row of bricks down, but this leads me to a question. What consistency is the best for the home brew mortar? i think i mixed it a little on the dry side.
            Think cake batter. or soft peanut butter. it can be re-hydrated with very little water

I mixed up just enough to do about 8 - 10 bricks at at time. It does flash and is unusable after that. Spread the extra on the outside of the oven for some additional thermal mass.

Make sure you have something down on the oven floor to protect the floor bricks from dropping mortar.

Chip
            Last edited by mrchipster; 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM.
            Chip

Comment

How long should i let each row set up before it is safe to lay another one? I was thinking two rows per day at least 6-8 hours apart.

Comment

Really comes down to the outside temperature as the mortar going off is a chemical reaction, so on a warm day the mortar will go off quicker than on a cold day. Also as the dome level increases gravity wants to pull the brick out of position, making it harder to set each course. A good finish takes time, Haste makes waste.

Cheers
                Craig
                "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                The Pirate Captain

Comment

I am struggling with what I should use for a reference arc, inside the dome. I have read that I shouid not let the guide support the bricks only use it as as a reference for the angle. So i made an 18" arc reference guide out of plywood and I move it with each brick. I think i shoud either make one that supports each brick as i go or do the sand mold.

Comment

Why not use an IT (indis. tool) ? you can make one cheap with wood, clamp and hinge. Search the forum in tools and techniques. They really help. Can you post some pics?
                    Texman
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...=indispensable
                    Last edited by texman; 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM. Reason: add link and ?
                    Texman Kitchen
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post
                      Really comes down to the outside temperature as the mortar going off is a chemical reaction, so on a warm day the mortar will go off quicker than on a cold day. Also as the dome level increases gravity wants to pull the brick out of position, making it harder to set each course. A good finish takes time, Haste makes waste.

Cheers
                      Craig
                      I was using ice water to mix with the mortar, No ice (strained off) but real cold water and kept the bag of mortar in an old cooler with ice in a plastic tub beside it to keep it cold also. This slows the flash off by 15 minutes or more in hot weather.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

I am trying to upload some photos now. Keep in mind i don't think this is my final installation it is kind of rough. I shrank the files with paint so they would use less space hopefully they are not too small to view.

Comment

Once the dome is complete how long should i wait before the first firing? I also read about a series of fires starting with newspaper and working up to full size pieces of wood but i am unable to find that post now, can someonce help me with this?

Comment

I think it's a good idea to leave the thing for a week, insulate, then cure. try looking here.http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...uring-767.html Read the whole thread.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

A couple of questions,;
                              1.) what should dome insulation ratio be perliteortland i have read both 8:1 and 12:1 what is best?
                              2.) Should I put chicken wire beneath perlcrete for structure?

Comment

Working...
                              X