Dome design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome design

Can I build a pyramid shaped cooking chamber with a flat ceiling and a rectangular appature?

Re: Dome design

It could be done but you get a more even heat distribution if you stay with the dome design. The opening may be rectangular. The arches we are employing today are for more of an aesthetic purpose. The first builds were square.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah View Post
      Can I build a pyramid shaped cooking chamber with a flat ceiling and a rectangular appature?
      Why not build a dome and build a pyramid outer shell (roof) if that is the look you are going for. At pizza temps no one is sticking their head inside.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

A couple of years ago I was asked to put together a modular kit oven that was of this configuration. They were cast panels that interlocked. It was quite a clever design and I was told it performs ok, although its insulation was inadequate.sorry, I can't remember the name. The front and back panels were vertical while the sides were angled in and the roof sat horizontally on top. All the panels were designed to interlock.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah View Post
          a flat ceiling
          What holds it up?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone

A dome may be considered a series of arches rotating around a vertical axis, with gravity holding all the bricks together in compression, and is therefore very strong.
            A flat ceiling would need to be a one piece cast item as per Dave's anecdote. If it was made of bricks mortared together, the forces of gravity would not hold the bricks together in compression. You couldn't make it from brick, or it would fall in.
            Also I believe the arches used for openings today are for more than aesthetic reasons. Done correctly, the arch marries into the dome shape better than a rectangular opening and will not require any additional buttressing or lintels.
            A rectangular opening with a flat ceiling will need a lintel to stop the bricks falling in (see brickies question - what holds it up applies to openings too). A rectangular opening with a shallow curved ceiling may required buttressing to stop the shallow curve pushing the vertical walls out.
            Thats what I said........

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              Thats what I said........
              And you said it with less words.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

"A flat ceiling would need to be a one piece cast item as per Dave's anecdote. If it was made of bricks mortared together, the forces of gravity would not hold the bricks together in compression. You couldn't make it from brick, or it would fall in."

That's not exactly true. While mortar won't hold together a flat roof made of bricks, there is another way to do it. I built a kiln many years ago with a flat brick roof. I didn't invent the idea, but the bricks were held together unmortared with threaded steel rods through their centres and placed over the kiln in sections (5 bricks at a time from memory) many other kiln builders have used the same technique. I used dense firebricks, but it can also be done with insulating firebricks or solid reds for that matter. Someone might like to experiment with this idea for a WFO.
                Last edited by david s; 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Someone might like to experiment with this idea for a WFO.
                  You go first.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    Someone might like to experiment with this idea for a WFO.
                    Have a go and report back.....

Originally posted by Les View Post
                    You go first.
                    What he said.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                      And you said it with less words.

Chip
                      Im a conservationist at heart, I hate killing electrons in verbose non ending rambling replies that can be conveyed in a few well chosen words.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                        You go first.
                        No not me, I was just offering Deborah a solution if she wants to build an oven of that configuration.

Comment

Working...
                        X